Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2009, 06:46 PM
MVP
F@H

Default Internet freezes following connection/disconnection to BT?

Yup, as title says.
I recently got a new router and left the world of Telus wireless "gateways" and got myself an Asus WL-520GU flashed with Tomato

Every time i connect to BitTorrent, (i currently use uTorrent [but may change if i have to]) my internet would lock and i wouldn't be able to use msn/Firefox for about 10 minutes. However, my uTorrent download would continue fine.

I have QoS set up for uTorrent (which is set to listen at a specific port and uPnP disabled) having lower priority than port 80/1863 which are the ports for http:// and MSN, so this shouldn't be a problem.

After roughly 10 minutes my internet connection to firefox as well as WLM returns as normal - though slower (obviously due to the bandwidth taken up by BT)

When my BT download finishes, the internet would lock up once again to WLM and FireFox, and only after another 10 minutes would i be able to access it once again.

During this time, i also cannot access my router via 192.168.1.1. Any ideas?

I googled around a bit, and came up with a possible answer being that my computer fails to manage the influx of connections via uTorrent all of a sudden and it takes time for it to calm down? Awkwardly, though, i only have it set up at 80 max connections per torrent and 400 global, but i never have more than 1 torrent going anyways..

Old April 1, 2009, 07:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Probably just overloading the router. Only real explanation IMO.

Do you cap your speeds in uTorrent? Your upload should be 80% or less than your maximum upload (use like SpeedTest.net or something to find it) to ensure your Internet browsing isn't heavily affected.
Old April 1, 2009, 07:49 PM
MVP
F@H

hmm... on speedtest i get about 1kbits per second... so i should have a up of roughly....... ~60 kbytes/s?
Old April 2, 2009, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

what level of internet are you running? Im running the 1.5mb and I get roughly 500kbits up so 1k seems good for the higher levels. I had this problem but im not sure if its the same as yours, I was running a linksys wireless adapter on a known working wireless network that for somereason would always shut down during certain actions while downloading BTs. After a ton of trail and error I found out it was the driver for the adapter, the adapter itself was getting overloaded when downloads finished and the next ones started. using older drivers from xp fixed it for me.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 2, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

No point in allowing utorrent to rape your upload bandwidth its not going to really matter.

I have mine set as:

Upload Limit: 5.0kB/s
Upload Slots: 2
Connections (per torrent): 50
Connections (global): 75
Max Active Torrents: 10
Max Active Downloads: 5
Old April 2, 2009, 04:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
No point in allowing utorrent to rape your upload bandwidth its not going to really matter.

I have mine set as:

Upload Limit: 5.0kB/s
Upload Slots: 2
Connections (per torrent): 50
Connections (global): 75
Max Active Torrents: 10
Max Active Downloads: 5
You sir are a bad leecher.
Old April 2, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
You sir are a bad leecher.
Nope. My connection never sees more than 1.0kB/s so I don't bother putting it high.
Old April 2, 2009, 08:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Nope. My connection never sees more than 1.0kB/s so I don't bother putting it high.
You on dial-up or something? Cause that's pretty damn slow.