Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 04:02 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 375
Default Rogers VS TechSavvy

Alright. I live in north scarborough, (brimley and mcnicoll). Stay with Rogers? (using the 60GB bandwidth cap plan) or switch to TechSavvy? spend a bit more initally but save more eventually?
__________________
CPU:E8400 @ 3.8GHZ -->Zalman 9700NT HSF
GPU:XFX 5870 1GB
HDD:150GB Raptor,WD500GB,WD1TB BLACK
MOBO:Asus Striker 2 Formula
RAM:OCZ HPC REAPER 4GB 1066mhz pc2-8500 (5-5-5-15)@2.2v
PSU:CORSAIR 750W
CASE:Silvertstone TJ07
SOUND:Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
Keyboard:Logitech G15 V2
Mouse:Razer DeathAdder
Case Cooling:2x92mm exhaust,2x120mm exhaust, 2x120mm Ultra Kaze(3000RPM)intake.
Running:Win7 64-bit Ultimate
F@H PPD:46957


Last edited by Cadence; March 20, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 07:29 PM
Jon_di2's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Alright. I live in north scarborough, (brimley and mcnicoll). Stay with Rogers? (using the 60GB bandwidth cap plan) or switch to TechSavvy? spend a bit more initally but save more eventually?
1) If you have a home phone line - get teksavvy
2) If you dont have a home phone line only get teksavvy if you are using more then 60GB bandwidth/month.
3) see this thread for more input:

TekSavvy for SKYMTL. Need Input
__________________
EVGA780i FTW|Q9450@3.3|2x2GB Mushkin Redline 8000|GTX 260 Core 216 65nm|Corsair TX750|Antec 900|Acer 22|Antec Multimedia Premier|WD 640GB|Seagate 500GB|Logitech G15|Vista64
EVGA790i FTW|E8400@4.1|4x1GB Aeneon Xtune DDR3-1866|2xGTX 260 55nm|CM 750W| CM690|Viewsonic 25.5|Seagate 500GBx2|Logitech G5|Razer Lycosa|Scythe Kaze Master 5.25|Win7 & XP
Dell XPS M170|Pentium M @2.00|2GB DDR2 @667MHz|Nvidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX|120GB|17" WUXGA|XP32
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 07:33 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,490

My System Specs

Default

Isn't there a submission from Bell to the CRTC that will effectively cap techsavvy's service if it's accepted?

I'd do some research on that first before I switched over to techsavvy.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 08:05 PM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Isn't there a submission from Bell to the CRTC that will effectively cap techsavvy's service if it's accepted?

I'd do some research on that first before I switched over to techsavvy.
Link? I'm actually curious about this if true. Only reason I ask is as far as I know TekSavvy only uses Bell for the last mile, the rest of the network beyond the wire to the home is TekSavvys network. I'm almost sure of it as you can even choose which Level 1/2 provider you want to use (Cogent vs Peer1).

I couldn't find anything first glance about capping bandwidth, frankly I don't think that Bell has the ability to cap the bandwidth on the last mile, only the speed. Great resource about the Net Neutrality battle, a large part of it dealing with Bell vs TekSavvy at SaveOurNet.ca | Protecting your Internet's level playing field
__________________
"Let's face it, we're not changing the world. We're building a product that helps people buy more crap - and watch porn."
Bill Watkins, CEO Seagate Technology

Dual Xeon X5650 @ 4.1GHz | EVGA Classified SR-2
2x4GB G.Skill at 1496MHz (9-9-9-24) | XFX 4890 XXX 1GB at 1000/1000MHz
Intel SSD X25-M 80GB Gen2 | Western Digital 1TB Black | SilverStone Zeus 1200W
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Sony MDR-V700 | Windows Seven x64


Stuff for Sale! You must buy it, you can't look away!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 08:11 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,490

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Link? I'm actually curious about this if true. Only reason I ask is as far as I know TekSavvy only uses Bell for the last mile, the rest of the network beyond the wire to the home is TekSavvys network. I'm almost sure of it as you can even choose which Level 1/2 provider you want to use (Cogent vs Peer1).

I couldn't find anything first glance about capping bandwidth, frankly I don't think that Bell has the ability to cap the bandwidth on the last mile, only the speed. Great resource about the Net Neutrality battle, a large part of it dealing with Bell vs TekSavvy at SaveOurNet.ca | Protecting your Internet's level playing field
Just what I've seen over on the NCIX forums.... NCIX FORUMS - Bell Imposes New Limits On Teksavvy Inte...

I don't have access to anything but either Rogers or Bell so it was only a passing interest for me.

If I'm reading it correctly, Bell is applying for the right to impose new limits on the resellers.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 09:02 PM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Just what I've seen over on the NCIX forums.... NCIX FORUMS - Bell Imposes New Limits On Teksavvy Inte...

I don't have access to anything but either Rogers or Bell so it was only a passing interest for me.

If I'm reading it correctly, Bell is applying for the right to impose new limits on the resellers.
Wow, that's the first I've heard of it but... that looks horrible for us the users. Bell can burn for all I care.
__________________
"Let's face it, we're not changing the world. We're building a product that helps people buy more crap - and watch porn."
Bill Watkins, CEO Seagate Technology

Dual Xeon X5650 @ 4.1GHz | EVGA Classified SR-2
2x4GB G.Skill at 1496MHz (9-9-9-24) | XFX 4890 XXX 1GB at 1000/1000MHz
Intel SSD X25-M 80GB Gen2 | Western Digital 1TB Black | SilverStone Zeus 1200W
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Sony MDR-V700 | Windows Seven x64


Stuff for Sale! You must buy it, you can't look away!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 09:14 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,490

My System Specs

Default

Unfortunately for users, my understanding is that the "intent" of the policy forcing bell to allow resellers access to any part of their network is geared towards preventing bell from putting the resellers at a competetive disadvantage.

Since bell isn't providing their own customers with a zero cap option, the resellers can't claim that bell is trying to be anti-competetive with this request.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 09:21 PM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Unfortunately for users, my understanding is that the "intent" of the policy forcing bell to allow resellers access to any part of their network is geared towards preventing bell from putting the resellers at a competetive disadvantage.

Since bell isn't providing their own customers with a zero cap option, the resellers can't claim that bell is trying to be anti-competetive with this request.
It prevents resellers from providing a better service, all this does is provide a ceiling of the level of service a reseller can provide. So what happens? With this implemented(if it happens, hasn't yet but the CRTC has no backbone so...) a reseller such as TekSavvy can only be as good as Bell, never better.

If that's not considered anti competitive by the CRTC I don't know what will. Like I said before, Bell can burn.
__________________
"Let's face it, we're not changing the world. We're building a product that helps people buy more crap - and watch porn."
Bill Watkins, CEO Seagate Technology

Dual Xeon X5650 @ 4.1GHz | EVGA Classified SR-2
2x4GB G.Skill at 1496MHz (9-9-9-24) | XFX 4890 XXX 1GB at 1000/1000MHz
Intel SSD X25-M 80GB Gen2 | Western Digital 1TB Black | SilverStone Zeus 1200W
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Sony MDR-V700 | Windows Seven x64


Stuff for Sale! You must buy it, you can't look away!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 09:30 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,490

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
It prevents resellers from providing a better service, all this does is provide a ceiling of the level of service a reseller can provide. So what happens? With this implemented(if it happens, hasn't yet but the CRTC has no backbone so...) a reseller such as TekSavvy can only be as good as Bell, never better.

If that's not considered anti competitive by the CRTC I don't know what will. Like I said before, Bell can burn.
Not quite.... Anti-Competetive would be charging the resellers an access fee which would not allow them to turn profits similar to Bell with similar pricing packages... it wouldn't make sense for Bell to be forced to allow resellers to have a better package than they can offer themselves.

If the resellers want to be able to offer a "better" service than bell does, they'll have to build their own backbone.

What this all comes down to is that the days of unlimited caps are coming to a close, and you can mostly thank the explosion of 24/7 high bandwidth downloading that's been going on for the last year or so.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 09:41 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 439
Default

Care to explain the ridiculous cost of bandwidth in Canada vs the US or Japan then?

Sure it costs a lot more to lay fiber between cities but that shouldn't explain why bandwidth is 20x more up here than in the US....

Hell I can get a server with 40MBit Internap cheaper than paying the GST on 40MBit bandwidth in Canada.... I wish I was kidding, but it's DAMN close. If you pay PST, it's actually cheaper.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rogers internet to up speeds? Cobrajr122 Off Topic 28 March 16, 2009 07:47 PM
[FS] HTC Touch GSM (Rogers) Mike_E Buy/Sell & Trade 14 February 12, 2009 04:38 PM
Ted Rogers dies at 75. encorp Off Topic 7 December 2, 2008 06:23 PM
Rogers Bill Phobia Off Topic 1 September 29, 2008 08:12 PM