Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2009, 06:32 AM
MVP
F@H

Default Help setting up wireless network

Hi there, me again

I currently have Vista 64 Ultimate on Rig #1 and XP Home 32bit on Rig #2.

Rig one is wired to the my wireless rotor and Rig 2 is wireless.

I would like to set up a network linking the 2. Primarily to share the printer and also so I can see Rig #2 folding stats on FAHMON on rig one.

I have never setup a network before and need the dummies step by step guide.

Anyone here able to walk me through it?
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old March 1, 2009, 01:09 PM
MVP
F@H

Nobody out there networking two different OS's?

Help!!!
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old March 1, 2009, 01:55 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

There are lots of small steps involved. It's not too difficult but to list the details of each and every one for both XP and Vista would require the rest of my weekend! :) The steps also depend on which service pack you have installed for XP, etc. Your particular firewall may also require additional setup. This is probably why nobody has responded yet as it can be very easy, or be a real pain requiring lots of patience by those helping and yourself. Also, you have basically asked for a few things to be done (ie. share printer, share a folder, add to Fahmon, all in two different OSes).

Basically:

Step 1: All computers need to be placed in the same "Workgroup". Each computer in the Workgroup need a different name (ie. "desktop", "laptop", in the workgroup "mynetwork". You can access these options by right clicking on "My Computer" in both XP and Vista. You will need to reboot.

Step 2: Turn on "File and Printer" sharing. You can accomplish this in XP by running the "Network Setup Wizard" in XP. In Vista, go to Control panel and go to "Network and Sharing Center" and turn on Network Discovery, File Sharing, Printer Sharing, and Media Sharing.

Step 3: Go to Start Menu, Printers, and then right click on your printer, select "Sharing" and check to see if your printer is shared. If not select the "Sharing" checkbox and take note of the name.

Step 4: Go to another computer (ie. your wireless laptop) and go to "Printers", and then "Add Printer" and then "Add Network/Wireless Printer" in Vista, or click the browse ison in XP and you will see "Network" or something similar. Browse until you see the printer. Select it and then follow the prompts to install.

Sharing a Folder (ie. your FaH folder)
Step 1: Navigate to your FaH folder. the location can be in a few places. Some hints on this location can be found here:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-progress.html

Step 2: Right-click on the folder, select "Sharing". Select "Share this folder".

Step 3: From FaHmon, follow the directions to add a client in the post I linked to above. When you browse to the folder to add, click on "Network", and you should be able to see the folder you shared in step 2. Select it.

These are the bacic steps. It is not the detailed step by step guide you asked for, but is the basic overall procedure. If it does not work, start by checking for typos, wireless connectivity, etc. Then, turn off any firewalls (including Windows firewall), antiviruses, etc. Windows should configure its own firewall if you use the wizards I mentioned, but sometimes it does not.

Hope this helps you a bit. Again, to do what you asked in a very specific manner would take a bit of time which I don't have now so good luck. You should try it though...once you do it its not too bad.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 1, 2009, 02:27 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Well, if you have two different computers connected to the same "router", then you already have set up a network. Of course, setup'ing a network and making services available on the network is different...

If you just want to see if your computers see each other on the network (which they do, so doing this won't give you any valuable information), you can "ping" one from the other. Unless you have special firewall rules who says not to respond to echo request, it will work.

If you need more information for making file sharing and printer sharing services available on your OS, google something like "windows printer sharing" or "windows file sharing".

And if it's not already done, don't forget to secure the "wireless" portion of your network.

Old March 1, 2009, 03:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Read this page. You'll need it for your Vista PC to see your XP system.

Why I Can’t See XP computers in Windows Vista Network Map
Old March 1, 2009, 03:55 PM
MVP
F@H

Thanks guys. I will work on this.

Old March 1, 2009, 04:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Read this page. You'll need it for your Vista PC to see your XP system.

Why I Can’t See XP computers in Windows Vista Network Map
I believe this is only necessary if you want to use the new Network Map feature. I have never done it this way and I don't think it is necessary if you have all the computers in the same workgroup.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 1, 2009, 04:16 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I believe this is only necessary if you want to use the new Network Map feature. I have never done it this way and I don't think it is necessary if you have all the computers in the same workgroup.
You are correct; I use Vista on my rigs, but the Wife prefers XP on her lappy. When browsing the Network, I can see her laptop fine.

One aspect that I found made a difference, but can be annoying is to use a user password for any Vista rigs. Don't ask me why, but the network discovery is much faster.