Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2009, 11:37 AM
Rookie

Default Setting up a LAN with wifi and cabel to different os

So i would like to make a lan thru my PC(win xp os) and Laptop(Vista os). PC and laptop is connected with Pirreli DRG A125G router. Pc connected with cabel and laptop thru wireless. So i woul like to ask how could i make? Cuz on google i found how to make lan when bot PCs connected thru cabels, wifis or win xp. So maybe someone could write/post(link) how could i setup?
P.S. Sorry for my bad eng.
Old February 11, 2009, 11:43 AM
Banned
F@H

OK, so each machine must be on the same "workgroup" to see each other. once that's done, all shared folders will be visible to either machine.

You can change the "workgroup" under Computer Name, see this link:

How to change a computer name, join a domain, and add a computer description in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003
Old February 14, 2009, 04:30 AM
Rookie

well, i did same on vista and on xp. Now i see Microsoft Windows Network in PC with xp, but when i press double it show that nothing else is connected, while on vista shows only same PC and router and the pc with xp doesnt show
Old February 14, 2009, 12:37 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

The fact your computer is using WiFi or Ethernet doesn't make a difference when it comes to set up a "Windows network". I guess there's a bad configuration somewhere in your computer network settings which makes the computers not advertise them on the network. I'm not a pro of "Windows network", so I couldn't tell where the problem is exactly, but you might start by rebooting your comps, it sometimes helps (you know how Windows works sometimes). Then, look in the network settings of both computers and try to do something smart.