Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Teksavvy

If I were to switch, what would be the best way to go about it?

As far as, do I keep my current router (Linksys WRT54G V2)?

Should I buy a dsl modem etc?

What other tips you got?

I'm looking to basically rid myself completely of using rogers.

I do game etc so I'd like to get the most out of TS's 5m down
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old February 3, 2009, 09:22 PM
Top Prospect

you are on roger cable, correct? Make sure you know how far from the Teksavvy office you are, the farther away you are the worse speeds you get on dsl. Im going to assume you know about this... if you dont then google is your friend! :D

You are making a great choice, teksavvy is a fantastic company. I LOVE being with them. When you call for help, there is a human on the other end of the phone within 20 seconds 9 times out of 10. No stupid "press 4 for bla bla bla" junk. The operators are human beings, and actually care about ya. Yeah, so good choice.

I think you can get a modem from them for around $100, dont quote me on that. Im not sure, we just kept our old modem.

I have OK pings with them, but then again I am also on the VERY edge of their support range (4.7km of a 5km radius) for dsl. *shrug* Its still amazing service.
Old February 3, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The WRT54G with Tomato and MMLPP enabled will allow you to avoid Bell's throttling(TekSavvy uses Bell's last mile network). I'm not entirely too sure what the best set up with TekSavvy would be to get the most out of your connection, but I know a few other members here use TekSavvy and should know what to do, hopefully they chime in.

TekSavvy really is one of the best providers in Canada, unlike most they actually care about their customers. A great choice I must say!
Old February 4, 2009, 04:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

I use a WRT54GL running DD-WRT with TekSavvy and it works great. I got the cheapest SpeedTouch router they offer, which you can actually buy from a regular retailer for a fair amount less. I find that I usually get around 4-4.5Mbps/400-520Kbps. I tried Tomato with MLPPP enabled but didn't find that it improved my speed at all, so I returned to DD-WRT since I like it better.
Old February 4, 2009, 05:07 AM
Allstar

I'm also running a WRT54GL with Tomato/MLPPP on Teksavvy. I ended up buying the Speedtouch from them for about 100. Great service and I'm happy to be with them. I found MLPPP made a big difference in my torrents. I've actually just ordered their phone service also as Bell was charging $60 a month for it, and now it's going to be under 35 a month for the same thing.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 4, 2009, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the tips so far everyone. Let me know how their phone service is for you, I'm considering that also!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old February 4, 2009, 07:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I got Teksavvy too, bought the SpeedTouch 516 from Infonec (it was like $40 less).

I went with the 5Mbps Premium service which apparently has lower pings and what not. No issues with gaming assuming the servers are within North America.

I'd assume their phone service is the same as Bell since it's just POTS. I'm currently using Rogers Home Phone since it was cheaper for the first year. Might switch to Teksavvy though when the year is up.
Old February 4, 2009, 09:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Thanks for the tips so far everyone. Let me know how their phone service is for you, I'm considering that also!
I have their phone and internet in toronto. Internet works great, and the phone works great too... I mean its a phoneline, it does what it is supposed to

It is of course just a re-sold bell line, so bell still has to do all the maintence and set it up. But teksavvy deals with bell and makes sure they show up and all that, you dont have to ever call bell.
Old February 4, 2009, 10:02 AM
Allstar
F@H

Well its good to hear all these good things about TS lol, im moving at the end of the month to an area about 10 minutes outside of belleville where bell only offered their essential dsl wit a 2gb cap, couldnt even get that raised if i payed more money. Then i found a list of canadian isps and started calling them to see what was available, TS has a 50kb/s down service with uncapped downloads and uploads for 24.95 or something, which is about the best dl speed available in the area unfortunately. Since bell throttled my torrents to 30 or 60kb/s 90% of the time it wont make a difference though
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old February 4, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I understand it's all only resold Bell lines etc, I guess having TS is like insurance, giving you someone else to fight on your behalf against bell lol.

Other question I have, what are the differences in Teksavvy's services; IE Dry loop etc?