Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2009, 12:25 AM
Rookie

Default Lag Spikes!!!

I've been getting really bad lag spikes lately that won't seem to go away. I started getting lag spikes about four months ago. They would come and go maybe once a week for a couple hours. But for the past 3 days games that I usually play online have become unplayable due to my lag issue. Everyday it seems as if my ping spikes start at sometime in the early afternoon and stay high throughout the day then it seems to drop late at night. I have no other computers on my network, but I do have an Xbox 360 using my internet connection. I unplugged it and turned it off and still have problems so I've pretty much ruled it out. I've also tried resetting my modem and router. No luck.

I'm really a noob with connections so I have no idea what could be wrong. Though I've done a bit of digging into this issue and a 'node congestion' seems like it might be the most logical explanation.

My ISP is Shaw btw.

Anyone having or have had this issue? Any advice is appreciated. =(
Old February 1, 2009, 12:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It might actually be Shaw. I've been having this problem too, so we called them, and they fixed our problem.
Old February 1, 2009, 12:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It certainly is Shaw. Bandwith over cable is shared with your neighbors. Your bandwidth drop and lag increase corresponds with the peak usage time when all your neighbors are using their computers. When I was the 1st on on the block with cable high-speed, it was great. Then quality of service gradually declined over the next couple of years as every one else joined in.

You can call them to see if they can do anything about it. Or do what I did, pay the extra $10 a month for Extreme-I service. You seem to take priority over your neighbors with it, although I've never been able to actually confirm it with anyone from Shaw.
Old February 1, 2009, 12:53 AM
Rookie

I'll give them a call tomorrow :(

Hopefully they will do something about this...