Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Help me out (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/14280-help-me-out.html)

Lpfan4ever January 27, 2009 05:02 PM

Help me out

I recently received a Linksys WMP300N wireless adapter, but do not yet have a router to make use of it. I was wondering if you guys may be able to recommend a router to pair with this adapter, in the, $100-$150 range. i can probably go a bit higher, but I'd rather not unless it's really going to be a big boost.

chrisk January 27, 2009 05:16 PM

I would suggest this one:
Canada Computers - Networking > Wireless Routers : Linksys WRT160N Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router w/ 4-port 10/100 Switch, Access Point, MIMO Technology.

Its wireless N, and $80. I do not have this router, but I like Linksys, and my advice generally is to try to keep the brands of adapters and routers the same.

I have the Wrt350N, and it has the storage link, which allows you to connect a flash drive or a USB hard drive that you can share as a network drive via router. Canada Computers has a fancy router from Linksys that has this feature for $190. it has 'dual band' as well, but I cannot say this is worth it as I have not tried it. My Linksys Wrt54GS and my Wrt350N have been excellent for me.

Infiniti January 27, 2009 08:42 PM

I have this one:
Linksys WRT150N Wireless N Router - 300Mbps, 802.11n (Draft N), 4-Port (Recertified) RB-WRT150N in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

and it works really well. Just make sure you flash it with DD-WRT if you want more functionality and security.

Lpfan4ever January 29, 2009 01:47 AM

i'm leaning more towards the 160N right now because I can get it locally. Anybody else have some input?

Lpfan4ever January 31, 2009 10:15 AM

Well, I've picked up the 150N since I found out Canada Computers had a few refurbished ones, and I'm not having much luck with it. I got it flashed with DD-WRT easily, set up WPA (because my Xbox doesn't support WPA2). Here's where the problem is coming in. I am getting the same 2 bar reception as my old wireless G router, and there's nothing fancy with the speeds I'm getting either. Lots of 30 second hangs.
I've been on the DD-WRT forums and someone else has had ear the same problems, and suggested placing the router higher up and changing a couple of the wireless values. Infiniti, maybe you could chime in and see if you know something that might help me. The hangs are mostly ocurring while playing games, such as Counter Strike Source.

Infiniti January 31, 2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpfan4ever (Post 146010)
Well, I've picked up the 150N since I found out Canada Computers had a few refurbished ones, and I'm not having much luck with it. I got it flashed with DD-WRT easily, set up WPA (because my Xbox doesn't support WPA2). Here's where the problem is coming in. I am getting the same 2 bar reception as my old wireless G router, and there's nothing fancy with the speeds I'm getting either. Lots of 30 second hangs.
I've been on the DD-WRT forums and someone else has had ear the same problems, and suggested placing the router higher up and changing a couple of the wireless values. Infiniti, maybe you could chime in and see if you know something that might help me. The hangs are mostly ocurring while playing games, such as Counter Strike Source.

Hmm.. It might be the router problem. I'm on wireless right now, and have the router downstairs, but I'm still getting good latency on games.

Also, the laptop that is up here is getting way better reception than my old router, as it is getting all 5 bars now other than the old 2.

chrisk January 31, 2009 01:30 PM

LP: try going into the router and going with wireless N only. I don't use the modded firmware for it so I can't tell you where that option is.

Check your bars on your laptop then, and if its better, enable G and N and see how that works. You might want to change the channels as well (wide band, etc) if you see an option for it.

Lpfan4ever January 31, 2009 02:05 PM

Well, it's going to a desktop. I've tried both N and N+G, only N giving slightly better results than the latter. After changing a couple values mentioned in the DD-WRT forums I haven't had the hanging problems nearly as much, maybe just once every couple hours at the most and not as long lasting.
I have no idea what all this sort and long preamble stuff is and others like it. Guess I should do a Google search. I'll also find that thread again to show you what I had changed. I'm also doing this all one floor, from one end of the house to another. My house really isn't very big though.
DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - Linksys WRT150N - Sucessfull!

Lpfan4ever January 31, 2009 04:58 PM

Hmmm...changing channel width to 40MHz seems to have helped. Hovering around 3-4 bars now, occasionally dropping to 2. Going to try some gaming and see what I come out with.