Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Linksys- you gotta be kidding me!!

So, last night I had to make some changes to Linksys WRT54GS router, I opened IE, typed in the 192.168 addy, entered my username and pswd but couldn't get in, kept getting a 401 unauthorized screen. So I tried typing admin and same thing. Being a little perplexed I called Lynksys to resolve the problem and here's what I was told. He said "it is only a software problem and not to worry, I'll transfer you to a senior tech who will help get you set up". He then put me on hold for a few minutes, came back and said "I have a senior tech on the line who can help you but before I transfer you, you will be required to pay $29.95 as your warranty has expired and you no longer qualify for online software support". Hence my title You Gotta Be Kidding Me!! I replied politely "the router is working fine I just want to add another PC with the same security settings as the rest of the network". Again I was told I was no longer entitled to online software support! When I mentioned that I could buy a new one for around $60-70 with new warranty why would I pay $30 for this old one with no warranty which he replied "for the extra money the new ones only have a 1 yr warranty"....I ended the call with "So I guess that means I won't be buying another Linksys product now will I"

Now, here's the kicker as far as I'm concerned. This morning I was on my laptop, I decided to check my security settings....ummmm....WHAT security settings??...they were gone!!... my whole network is now unsecured unless I pay the $29.95 for the software updates!! I was going to call them again but frankly I'm too pissed off to even talk to them. Is this how all the router companies work?

Now I find myself deciding whether to cave and pay the $30 for an older G router or just go out and get one of the new gigabit N routers. I'm considering one of these Canada Computers - Networking > Wireless Routers : D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router - Wireless router + 4-port switch - EN, Fast EN, Gigabit EN, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n (draft) .

Canada Computers - Networking > Wireless Routers : D-Link DIR-825, Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit router.

Canada Computers - Networking > Wireless Routers : D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme-N Gaming Router - Wireless B/G/N, Gigabit WAN/LAN, 3 Antenna, LED Screen Display.

Canada Computers - Networking > Wireless Routers : Belkin N1 Vision Wireless Router (F5D8232-4) - 802.11n draft, 3x3 Radio Design, Interactive Status Display (LCD), 4 Gigabit Ports.

Any comments or suggestions?

Old January 22, 2009, 01:11 PM
Allstar

I have an unopened Belkin G you can have for 20+shipping, I bought it cause I had the same issue almost with my linksys, but I solved it and never opened it...

just a thought ;)

no worries though I will be putting it in an official FS thread this week
Old January 22, 2009, 01:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzn4evr View Post
So, last night I had to make some changes to Linksys WRT54GS router, I opened IE, typed in the 192.168 addy, entered my username and pswd but couldn't get in, kept getting a 401 unauthorized screen.
So if I understand you correctly you are locked out of your router right ? Have you tried RESETTING your router (there is a tiny reset hole you insert a pin in there and keep it push you will see a red light come on and then go off....) Unless I misunderstood you, I am surprised the techs didn't tell you to reformat your PC and install windows
Old January 22, 2009, 01:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you try resetting the router before you go out to buy a new one? (Why aren't there any linksys on that list...... :) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 22, 2009, 01:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Wow...there is something not right about your Router suddenly going un-secured just because your support ran out...

I use D-Link N-Class and Haven't had a warranty in over 9months now...and yet whenever I've setup a new computer or been fixing one, I still have to enter my password verification to get on the network.

Yeah, I guess its time to switch Companies man...that is bad Mojo..

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 22, 2009, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
So if I understand you correctly you are locked out of your router right ? Have you tried RESETTING your router (there is a tiny reset hole you insert a pin in there and keep it push you will see a red light come on and then go off....) Unless I misunderstood you, I am surprised the techs didn't tell you to reformat your PC and install windows
It's working but not secured and I'm locked out of the online 192. site where you input your settings, basically they want $30 to allow me access to that page, and yes I've tried the reset button.

Old January 22, 2009, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Did you try resetting the router before you go out to buy a new one? (Why aren't there any linksys on that list...... :) ).
Lol Steve, gee I wonder why??....I think I'll pass on Linksys products if this how they do things.

Old January 22, 2009, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by donimo View Post
I have an unopened Belkin G you can have for 20+shipping, I bought it cause I had the same issue almost with my linksys, but I solved it and never opened it...

just a thought ;)

no worries though I will be putting it in an official FS thread this week
How did you solve it donimo?...let me guess, you still had warranty...

Old January 22, 2009, 02:02 PM
Top Prospect

>_>

you've done the entire unplug router then hold reset button for 30sec-1min deal and then plug in...use the default password schema (admin/admin or <nouserr>/admin) after the reset?

I'm pretty sure your network went unsecured after you did the reset on the router...
Old January 22, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzEr View Post
>_>

you've done the entire unplug router then hold reset button for 30sec-1min deal and then plug in...use the default password schema (admin/admin or <nouserr>/admin) after the reset?

I'm pretty sure your network went unsecured after you did the reset on the router...
Yup, did all that and yes, I think your right about it going unsecured after the reset, but I only reset it after I couldn't log in to make changes.