Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2009, 04:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Router + Switch

Since I only have four ports on my router, and all four of them are now occupied, I was looking into how to extend the number of machines I can have running on my home network (Right now i have two computers, a PS3, and an Xbox 360).

Now, from what I understand, if I buy like a 4 or 5 port Switch, and plug it into one of my router ports, does it basically split one of my router's ports into another four ports, thereby extending the number of things i can have hooked up to my network?
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old January 2, 2009, 06:00 AM
MVP

Not sure about the 4 port switch you are referring too, but I dont see why that wouldnt work. Last week I did this though..

went to a friends house to hook up his new router and the wireless. After getting everything connected they wanted there sons computer connected along with his Xbox live. The computer didnt have wireless (old) and niether did the xbox and they only had 1 long ethernet cable, so I was unable to hook both up from the main router. They had a spare router and all I did was use it as a splitter in the bedroom. the ethernet cable went into the bedroom to the old router and both computer and xbox split off it...the router was just plugged into the wall for power and used the short ethernet cables they had to connect them.. Guess it looked liked like this... and they have had no complaints about lag.

MAIN COMPUTER WITH ROUTER------------> computer 1
------------------------------------------>computer 2
------------------------------------------>bedroom router
--------------------------------------------------------->computer
--------------------------------------------------------->xbox

(--------------->) represents cable
i2600k sandy bridge @ 3.4ghz/ 2x 8800 GTX KO ACS3 PCI-E 630MHZ 768MB 2.0GHZ SLI'd / Raptor 74GB / Antec 1200 Hundred Gaming Case / G.Skill Ripjaws ddr3 1600 cl 8-8-8-24 - 8gigs / evga z68 SLI MOBO / Samsung DVD+RW / Corsair ax850 PSU / 24" Samsung CinkMaster

Cooling:
Swiftech Dual rad
Swiftech Single rad
Swiftech Micro Res
Swiftech Apogee GT Cpu block
Feser One Red Fluid
Old January 2, 2009, 06:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gruntsworthy View Post
Since I only have four ports on my router, and all four of them are now occupied, I was looking into how to extend the number of machines I can have running on my home network (Right now i have two computers, a PS3, and an Xbox 360).

Now, from what I understand, if I buy like a 4 or 5 port Switch, and plug it into one of my router ports, does it basically split one of my router's ports into another four ports, thereby extending the number of things i can have hooked up to my network?
Yes that is exactly how it works.

Your router will then only have 3 ports but the switch will add another 4.
Old January 2, 2009, 01:38 PM
MVP

If some of your computer have GBit NICs, I'd recommend picking up a GBit switch.
Something like a Netgear GS108.
Plug all your computers into the switch, and run one line from the switch to the router.

In fact, I'd pick up that switch even if you don't plan on GBit.
It's a nice switch.
Old January 2, 2009, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_hawk View Post
If some of your computer have GBit NICs, I'd recommend picking up a GBit switch.
Plug all your computers into the switch, and run one line from the switch to the router.

It's a nice switch.
thats kind of funny I didn't notice any difference between the GBit NIC and my onboard one I think that its just a gimmick at least for the common User I bought my card pay a fair price for it thinking I would see improvement with my Internet speeds and online gaming but there is know difference that I noticed , mind you I just installed the card and didn't touch any settings not sure which setting to adjust
Old January 2, 2009, 09:23 PM
MVP

It all depends on the NIC. And I guess it all depends on the end user. 95% of the users wouldn't notice the difference between a newer onboard NIC and a real NIC. I for one ONLY install Intel NICs on Mission Critical machines. I'm also planning on rolling out iSCSI, so most if not all my future machines will get Intel Server NICs.
Old January 2, 2009, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
thats kind of funny I didn't notice any difference between the GBit NIC and my onboard one I think that its just a gimmick at least for the common User I bought my card pay a fair price for it thinking I would see improvement with my Internet speeds and online gaming but there is know difference that I noticed , mind you I just installed the card and didn't touch any settings not sure which setting to adjust
Dedicated NICs will have a lot less overhead when it comes time to serious bandwidth crunching.. otherwise no you won't notice.
Old January 3, 2009, 12:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

well, my router is only a 100mbit D-link. It's given me no trouble whatsoever, and it's been buried in a mass of wires for over two years now. Right now it lets my PS3, my xbox 360, and two computers have access to the interwebs. It's one sturdy little mofo, but i'm worried that i might pick something else up down the line that might require another port, so a switch is my best bet then, right?
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old January 3, 2009, 02:18 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_hawk View Post

It's a nice switch.
I think the router needs to support GBit speed as well if your using the GBit switch. Otherwize you will only get 10/100 speeds.
Old January 3, 2009, 08:23 PM
MVP

Unless you're on a pair of Telus Cityplace lines (or in a DC) the 10/100 to the router from the switch won't matter. Not to mention the fact that your router would probably choke under 30MBit internet, let alone 100MBit.