Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3, 2009, 09:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gruntsworthy View Post
well, my router is only a 100mbit D-link. It's given me no trouble whatsoever, and it's been buried in a mass of wires for over two years now. Right now it lets my PS3, my xbox 360, and two computers have access to the interwebs. It's one sturdy little mofo, but i'm worried that i might pick something else up down the line that might require another port, so a switch is my best bet then, right?
Yeah a switch is all you need. Any consumer grade one should do fine and they don't require any configuration, just plug and go.

And frosty, I hope you disabled DHCP on the 2nd router and changed the 2nd router's IP to one that matches the main router's IP range, otherwise that's a pretty bad setup IMO.
Old January 6, 2009, 10:08 AM
Rookie

My recommendation,

Pick up a Gigabit switch.

Use 1 port from your Router to uplink to the Gigabit switch. Your core network will be based around the Gigabit switch now. The Router will act as your DHCP server and DNS/Internet server as it is now. No configuration changed needed. Also, there is no need to upgrade your 10/100 Router to anything else since current internet speeds are not exceeding 100 Megabits a second and won't for a long time.

Eventually change your NIC's to gigabit over time. This might just happen as you get new PC's in the future. Also invest in some Cat6 cabling, even though Cat5e works just as well, there is a slight performance difference. And finally, if you ever convert your entire network (minus router) to Gigabit, go to the settings for all network adaptors and turn on Jumbo Frames.

FYI, this is exactly how I have my network configured at home, even though I'm using two switches between rooms (for LAN parties).
My Gigabit switches are:
NCIX.com - Buy Linksys EG005W Gigabit 5 Port Workgroup Switch - EG005W In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Netgear Prosafe GS108NA 8 Port Gigabit Desktop Network Switch 10/100/1000 - GS108NA In Canada.
and I've had no issues with them whatsoever. I like the Netgear switch because of it's design and size.
VIDEO:
ASUS Radeon 4870X2 (2 x 750 MHz, 2 x 1GB DDR5)
MEMORY: 8GB RAM (4 x 2 GB DDR3-1333MHz 7-7-7-20)
DISK: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2 x 500GB)
WATER COOLING: Tt Bigwater 780e for CPU
WATER COOLING: Tt Bigwater 760i for GPU
WATER BLOCK CPU: Tt LGA775 Copper Block (3/8" fittings)
WATER BLOCK GPU: Danger Den 4870X2 Copper Block (1/2" fittings)
WATER BLOCK CHIPSET: ASUS Onboard Copper Block
Old January 6, 2009, 10:44 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
slight performance difference
Only in runs of 100ft or more.