Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2008, 01:27 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Dial Up

Okay before you all patronize me about still being on dial up keep in mind that I am right along the border in manitoba so there is verry little chance of high speed.

I run dial up and have 2 PC's and a Mac, what I am doing right now Is I have all my computers plugged into a 24 D-Link switch that then plugs into the router, I have one laptop that is dedicated to serving up a dial up connection to the rest of the computers on the network including anything connected via wireless.

What I would like is a linux/Unix based way of doing this sharing so that the laptop I have serving the connection doesn't get viruses and serve them to the other PC's on the network.

Any suggestion/ideas are taken in.
|~2.5TB HDD's
|Thermaltake V3
|Thermaltake 430W PSU
|Radeon Sapphire 4650 1GB DDR2
Heatware Record | Ebay Record
Old December 31, 2008, 01:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Just install a anti-virus on the laptop.

Your behind a router and a switch and dial-up.. you won't have much to worry about.
Old December 31, 2008, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite View Post
Okay before you all patronize me about still being on dial up keep in mind that I am right along the border in manitoba so there is verry little chance of high speed.
Don't feel bad, I am on dialup as well.
Old December 31, 2008, 04:53 PM
Allstar

Lots of folks still use dial-up and even have both hi-speed and dial-up accounts.

This can be done using a basic linux distro if you want to continue to use the laptop as a gateway. But there might be an easier and cheaper way that might free up your laptop. If you can find a Multitech home router or a USRobotics 8000 series home router; they had a serial port backup for the WAN port that permitteed them to use an external modem for dial-up. The USR should be available on e-Bay fairly cheaply. The Multitech I think may still be in production. I do know some Netgear and Zyxel routers still have serial port fallback but that's a more expensive solution.
Old January 4, 2009, 10:53 PM
Rookie

Don't worry man, this is canada, a lot of people still use dial-up (me included).