Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2008, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Free Home PBX :D

So i have been playing with a new a project. Setting up my own voip PBX and getting rid of my landlines.

Basically this is FREAKING amazing. Secondly it is retardedly cheap.

Right now this is the cost

PBX Software - Free (open source)
Computer - Free (using vmware)
DID (Incoming) - $1.49 /month
Inbound Rates - 1.25c / minute
Outbound Rates - 1.25c /minute (anywhere in NA except for the regular exceptions)

I have also setup and annoucment and an IVR system with voicemail and softphones.

My phone bill is going to go from $25 a month to about 5$.

so thats about a savings of 240 a year on my phone bill. Worth it.

If there is interest i can post some more info.

Old December 19, 2008, 10:31 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Please do post more info! Or even a How-To described the steps you did
Old December 19, 2008, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Ok, i will have to do that tonight. I will use vmware to do this. As i need to resetup the unit on my dedicated box. BUt here is a basic outline of the minimum requirements.

1. Free computer or vmware.
2. a voip account (i use voip.ms)
3. a ATA, SIP enabled phone or softphone (X-LITE)
4. PBX Software (Asterisk, Trixbox CE)

To make only outbound calls all you need is a voip.ms account (free) then you just add some credits (increments of $25) and then you can make outbounf calls. For inbound calls (people calling you) you need a DID (phone number) that's $1.49 a month US.

Voip.ms :: Worldwide VoIP Origination and Termination
Asterisk :: The Open Source PBX & Telephony Platform |
Fonality trixbox CE, an Asterisk-based PBX Phone System (formerly Asterisk@Home) | trixbox

i will post a more indepth how to later on.

Old December 19, 2008, 01:39 PM
Allstar

Very cool. I hope you do post a little (or big haha) tutorial on how to do this. I have an old computer or two that could be put to very good use with this.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old December 19, 2008, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

just keep in mind that if you want to use your regular pots phones then you will need an ATA for each phone ($60) or you will need to buy a SIP support phone or use a softwphone on your computer.

Old December 19, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Who are you buyging your DID from? Good to see some Asterisk enthusiasts here :) Also, are you using Trixbox CE?

Once I get SIP trunks working I will be setting one up to the switch of the company I work with. Should be sweet!

EDIT: Oh, I see where the DIDs come from. Could you share your config file for the sip trunk? (minus your details of course :P ).

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old December 19, 2008, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So what? This basically takes over your Bell landline?

If the power goes out, then you can't call, so that's like a danger hazard kind of thing. Also, don't forget that you're leaving your comp on so you might be saving only $5 instead of $20.
Old December 19, 2008, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

basically yes but i don't have to worry about that as my entire network is UPS protected so unless the power dies at the CO i have internet.

I use voip.ms and they actually provide the configuration files for the trunks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
So what? This basically takes over your Bell landline?

If the power goes out, then you can't call, so that's like a danger hazard kind of thing. Also, don't forget that you're leaving your comp on so you might be saving only $5 instead of $20.
1. The computer i am using is ultra low power
2. I live in an apartment so my power is included in my rent. But even if it wasn't this software could still be loaded on an atom based system as well. There's low power for you. Not low enough i have even heard rumors of some people trying to get asterisk on a wrt54gl. Now that would be awesome.

where this really shines is long distance. I can make a call from say ottawa where i live and call say florida for 1.25c a minute with premium routing.

Here's another example let's say i live in vancouver. my parents are in halifax. I set them up on my pbx, send them either an ata or a softphone. They dial my extension. I can talk to them FREE :D

There are some significant advantges. Also if you really want you can get an FXO card and interface directly with POTS instead of using VOIP but thats much more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheator View Post
Who are you buyging your DID from? Good to see some Asterisk enthusiasts here :) Also, are you using Trixbox CE?

Once I get SIP trunks working I will be setting one up to the switch of the company I work with. Should be sweet!

EDIT: Oh, I see where the DIDs come from. Could you share your config file for the sip trunk? (minus your details of course :P ).

Here are the sip trunk details from my voip provider minus my goodie parts. But you would need to be a voip.ms member to use their servers.

Trunking Peer (same for inbound and outbound)

canreinvite=nonat
; nat=yes ; uncomment if behind nat
context=from-trunk
host=sip.ca1.voip.ms
secret=<account password>
type=friend
username=<account name>
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
; allow=g729 ; uncomment if you purchased g.729 from Digium
fromuser=<account name>
trustrpid=yes
sendrpid=yes
insecure=port,invite

Register

<account name>:<account password>@sip.ca1.voip.ms:5060

hope this helps. Also don't forget to configure your dialing rules. Since i mainly make local calls i only have NXXNXXXXXX. Alternatively if you only ever make local calls and never longdistance you could do something like 613+NXXXXXX. Which would append the aread code to any number dialed if your area was using 10 digit dialing.

Last edited by lcdguy; December 19, 2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old December 19, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

yeah I know just wanted to look at the config if you were ok with that. I'm in Ottawa too and the provider I work with is able to setup SIP trunks. Dialing rules are ok and everything, so is config really, I just wanted to see what voip.ms uses for their sip proxy, and this gives me an idea of that. I'm an expert in voip devices for this company and do lots of testing, so I like to know things :)

thanks man! And gl with your trixbox :) I'm jealous you've already put one together.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old December 19, 2008, 05:38 PM
Allstar

lcdguy: I have no problems dropping a few bucks for something like this. I think it's a really cool project and definitely something I'd like to try out in the new year. Plus I'm learning something in the meantime so that's always a bonus.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N