Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2008, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default EVDO router = freedom & folding

Last year we finally bought an EVDO cellular internet account which has been the shizzle (apart from the $80 per month) but the real drawback has been the limitation of being able to use it on only one computer. With my wife working all the time and needing to be connected to her workplace network while she is, I've had very limited access to the high speed connection. They've only recently come out with affordable and practical routers for this kind of connection and if you ask Bell Canada, they'll still say that there is no such thing.

We just ordered one of these modems online for the rather steep (but much cheaper than a year ago) price of $200 USD. I'm very stoked about having full time connection for both computers- I know it won't help our already lousy ping, but at least I'll be able to fold regularly and take advantage of the SLI 260s and the i7 for HWC folding. Quite excited about it, but still not 100% sure it will work with our account- I've researched and everything looks ok so I'll just see what happens when it arrives. I know there aren't too many people around that live in remote areas where regular high speed isn't available, but I'll follow up with an update of how well the modem works.

The product is a Kyocera KR2

Last edited by Babrbarossa; December 15, 2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old December 15, 2008, 06:48 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I wonder what Bell would do if this were to catch on...no wonder they say it does not exist...
Fold for team #54196
Old December 15, 2008, 08:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I followed a thread someone made about a road trip from Calgary to Portland via Vancouver using one of those routers to keep passengers entertained. BMW M3 convertible through the moutains top down, and passengers were surfing the net, playing WOW, and updating the thread. Friend with them in another car could keep a connection as long as he stayed within a couple hundred feet. If it wasnt for the cost and transfer limitations I'd consider it.

Have an A-1 day!
Old December 15, 2008, 09:24 PM
Top Prospect

I ran an ExpressCard54 Bell Aircard in My XPS M1710 for about a year. If you can get a cell phone signal, you can surf the net. There where a few times running from Red Deer to Calgary, keeping up on some troubleshooting progress, and downloading a movie for later. I saw the Kyocera routers, but never spend any time at my trailer, so I did not get one. I will be interested in your update.
Hope it works well for you, Babrbarossa.
Old December 15, 2008, 09:29 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Glad to hear your fixing your problem. I'm sure our Folding Teams will be glad to hear it, we can use the help...