Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   remote desktop (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/11961-remote-desktop.html)

CTA November 18, 2008 11:41 PM

remote desktop
 
i already read many articles on the internet... and i have troubles to setup the remote desktop [for both win xp sp3-- computer and laptop) for my friend...

so can you please post a good link to remote desktop...


is it really good to use 3rd party remote desktop such as VLN, etc?

misterd November 19, 2008 05:41 AM

I use both VNC and RDP for work/home. 1st of all Remote Desktop is only available on server and pro/ultimate/biz. So assuming you have it? You go under System properties and on the Remote tab and Enable it, while you're at it Disable remote assistance. RDP uses TCP port 3389, so make sure that's enabled in your router/firewall. VNC and it's variants can be installed by anyone with some computer knowledge, set the port you want, default is TCP 5800, imo you can get fancier with VNC though. To each their own. Good luck.

lcdguy November 19, 2008 08:07 AM

i personally am not a fan of vnc or rdp over an unecrypted internet connection. Not to mention that you have to open a port. Go to www.logmein.com and sign up for a free account. I use it daily and it works really well.

CTA November 19, 2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterd (Post 114539)
I use both VNC and RDP for work/home. 1st of all Remote Desktop is only available on server and pro/ultimate/biz. So assuming you have it? You go under System properties and on the Remote tab and Enable it, while you're at it Disable remote assistance. RDP uses TCP port 3389, so make sure that's enabled in your router/firewall. VNC and it's variants can be installed by anyone with some computer knowledge, set the port you want, default is TCP 5800, imo you can get fancier with VNC though. To each their own. Good luck.


now i understand what is RDP in the forward port at the router.. both or TCP or UCP?

i already open ports in xp pro firewall...

just curious... is it really good or better to use VNC over remote desktop... my friend is not computer expert...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcdguy (Post 114582)
i personally am not a fan of vnc or rdp over an unecrypted internet connection. Not to mention that you have to open a port. Go to www.logmein.com and sign up for a free account. I use it daily and it works really well.


interesting...

i wil check there... i need to understand what it offer ( and need to check demos or screenshot)

Chilly November 19, 2008 09:55 PM

RDP is simple, built-in, not as many features or control as VNC but I have never personally needed the extra features so RDP is perfect for me.

enaberif November 19, 2008 09:59 PM

RDP = Non Secure.
VNC = More secure but still not that great.

arekieh November 19, 2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterd (Post 114539)
I use both VNC and RDP for work/home. 1st of all Remote Desktop is only available on server and pro/ultimate/biz. So assuming you have it? You go under System properties and on the Remote tab and Enable it, while you're at it Disable remote assistance. RDP uses TCP port 3389, so make sure that's enabled in your router/firewall. VNC and it's variants can be installed by anyone with some computer knowledge, set the port you want, default is TCP 5800, imo you can get fancier with VNC though. To each their own. Good luck.

What is that? Right now i just use a logmein service, all i use it for is if i forgot my homework at home, or something like that, so i can access my pc from school. But i hate logging on over the internet. My brother in law showed me how to use putty with realVNC, but its not working for me anymore, are there any other better alternatives or any good guides on how to set it up?
Thanks alot

CTA November 19, 2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 115010)
RDP = Non Secure.
VNC = More secure but still not that great.

i see... what do you recommend?

enaberif November 19, 2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA (Post 115023)
i see... what do you recommend?

I prefer VNC.

But if you "search" hard enough you could perhaps find a great, fast, and secure remote desktop program called Radmin.

CTA November 20, 2008 12:22 AM

thank you... i am planning to research more about it...

but i really think, i should user remote desktop because my friend is not expert... and he will only use it during vacation (kelowna, airport at richmond and langley)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:02 AM.