Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2008, 05:31 PM
MVP

Default ths is driving me nuts....help plz........

right now i have a dl604 router. it has been doing something strange. i finally cought it.

we were having pop ups that said "a network cable is unplugged" every time after that message was the one about limited connectivity.

i just happened to be looking right at the router tonight and saw it in action.

the wan light and the 4 connection lights go out--totally dead for a second or two. the power light stays on. after the second or two the lights come back on and its business as usual. the modem right beside it is fine. the switch on the other side is also fine. its just the router.

from what i have been able to find it looks like the router is re setting itself.

anyone know the cause or is it something else.

thx for help

rob123
Old November 16, 2008, 05:37 PM
Top Prospect

What you described, happens to me all the time. I figure it's the router tables getting corrupted somehow.
Sometimes it's fine, most times not.
Could have something to do with oc'in? Probably just a crappy onboard Gigabit controller.
....or someone at Shaw Cable doesn't like you!

WC Loop: DD Cpx-Pro | HWL 240 Xtreme | D-Tek V2
Old November 16, 2008, 05:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you run torrents or something that uses a lot of connections?

If so, older D-Links are known to reset themselves when they can't handle all the connections and that's exactly what your router is doing.

I had this issue with the DI-604 and DI-624 myself actually. I'm currently running the DGL-4300 and it's much more stable under heavy load. At the time it was the only gigabit router and it had the fastest CPU. Now of course it's not, but it's still a solid router IMO.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:54 PM
MVP

Default recommendations?

jdrom17, i have a router connected to 2 computers and a switch. i have 3 computers connected to the switch. i "torrent" quite a bot. tonight was especially heavy. also one of the computers connected to the switch plays warcraft a lot.

looks like its time for a better/faster router.

any recommendations anyone?

thx for the info

rob123

forgot to say i am a devotee of wired networking
Old November 16, 2008, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Do you run torrents or something that uses a lot of connections?

If so, older D-Links are known to reset themselves when they can't handle all the connections and that's exactly what your router is doing.

I had this issue with the DI-604 and DI-624 myself actually. I'm currently running the DGL-4300 and it's much more stable under heavy load. At the time it was the only gigabit router and it had the fastest CPU. Now of course it's not, but it's still a solid router IMO.
Its not just torrents that can cause router resets, anything that causes many multiple connections at one time can cause it. My friends old linksys router was famous for it, I don't remember off the top of my head what he replaced it with but everythings fine and dandy now with him.

As for me, I always ran the cable modem directly to my PC till I got my DGL-4300 as my first router so I never experienced first hand these "router resets" even under heavy torrenting and other bandwidth uses. The DGL-4300, even now is a GREAT router IMO, never had issues with it .

Last edited by Chilly; November 16, 2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old November 17, 2008, 08:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Its not just torrents that can cause router resets, anything that causes many multiple connections at one time can cause it. My friends old linksys router was famous for it, I don't remember off the top of my head what he replaced it with but everythings fine and dandy now with him.

As for me, I always ran the cable modem directly to my PC till I got my DGL-4300 as my first router so I never experienced first hand these "router resets" even under heavy torrenting and other bandwidth uses. The DGL-4300, even now is a GREAT router IMO, never had issues with it .
Well I did say "or something that uses a lot of connections"

To the OP: I think any modern day router would do you find but you're going to be hard-pressed finding a wired-only router these days that's decent.

Could try and find a DGL-4100 though I guess.
Old November 17, 2008, 07:57 PM
MVP

just ordered a dlink dgl 4300 wireless. i'll just use the wired ports on the back. price matched at ncix for $52. i'll wait and see if they approve it since its about one third of what they were charging.

cheers

rob123
Old November 18, 2008, 07:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob123 View Post
just ordered a dlink dgl 4300 wireless. i'll just use the wired ports on the back. price matched at ncix for $52. i'll wait and see if they approve it since its about one third of what they were charging.

cheers

rob123
Wow thats a great deal if it gets approved.
Old November 20, 2008, 08:04 PM
MVP

well, the past couple of days has seen a lot of hissing ( like a cat )between me and ncix.
things are all patched up and we are tolerating each other again.

to make it short they didnt go for the $52 and after some bickering, err i mean dealing we settled on $118. a reasonable price from an excellent company.

will drop a line when the dust settles.

cheers

rob123
Old November 20, 2008, 10:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob123 View Post
well, the past couple of days has seen a lot of hissing ( like a cat )between me and ncix.
things are all patched up and we are tolerating each other again.

to make it short they didnt go for the $52 and after some bickering, err i mean dealing we settled on $118. a reasonable price from an excellent company.

will drop a line when the dust settles.

cheers

rob123
Where did you see this $52 price if you don't mind me asking? Might be worth picking up a 2nd one as an insurance policy if my current one ever dies (yes I like the router that much).