Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2008, 10:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

Just tried it in a vm last night, seems ok but it takes a damn long time to install... I don'tknow how stable it is but it seems it would be useful.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old November 10, 2008, 11:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_hawk View Post
Why oh why did they leave out WSUS?
WHS = fail for my uses then. I <3 WSUS great @ work but for now @ home a transparent proxy will suffice.

Old November 10, 2008, 03:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob123 View Post
i do own 5 copies of xp home. all are in use on the computers we have. to be legal, i will either have to buy a copy of xp home or home server. right now i believe the home server is cheaper or nearly so.
Wow I think you're the first person I've seen who's bought a copy of XP for each of their machines in their house. I just used one CD and when it doesn't activate, I just call up MS and say I got a virus or some BS.
Old November 11, 2008, 03:46 PM
MVP

i have the five copies of xp home, a copy of vista home basic, vista home premium and of course vista ultimate. havent used the ultimate yet.

rob123
Old November 11, 2008, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Most of the reviews I've seen have been positive, but what functionality are you looking for? It could be there's a plug & play linux distro out there that will suit your needs.
I agree with sswilson. I'd try some Linux distros.. it's free... then if you aren't satisfied... spend some money on M$.
Old November 12, 2008, 04:45 AM
Top Prospect

i also have a server at home for the same purpose. i use internet on it for specific stuff, like hosting teamspeak when i play with my buddies or for internet when i am becnhing my main rig. but i guess that if you wont use yours to access internet and you dont want to reactivate your winxp copy on the server, why not just plain install it and dont do the update. Block your internet ports in your router for the server. you wont be attacked from the outside and you wont have to do the windows update. unless you want to use it for internet aswell, then i think you are better to do the update. file sharing is easy just share your hdd's or folders and the other computers will see them on the network. i also use mine for all my music, they are on my server and i ask itunes to play them from my server. i also have a gigabyte lan so everything is fast and easy

my 2 cents
Old November 12, 2008, 06:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
i also have a server at home for the same purpose. i use internet on it for specific stuff, like hosting teamspeak when i play with my buddies or for internet when i am becnhing my main rig. but i guess that if you wont use yours to access internet and you dont want to reactivate your winxp copy on the server, why not just plain install it and dont do the update. Block your internet ports in your router for the server. you wont be attacked from the outside and you wont have to do the windows update. unless you want to use it for internet aswell, then i think you are better to do the update. file sharing is easy just share your hdd's or folders and the other computers will see them on the network. i also use mine for all my music, they are on my server and i ask itunes to play them from my server. i also have a gigabyte lan so everything is fast and easy

my 2 cents
You have 30 days to activate it...if you don't..you get reminders like crazy. You can still run past the 30 day deadine, as long as you don't shutdown. Once you shutdown/crash etc. ..you have to activate to get log-in again. When i bench my machines, i install...without activating..and still use the net.. then reinstall after the 30 days again....and so on and so forth(PITA kinda).
Old November 12, 2008, 06:18 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
You have 30 days to activate it...if you don't..you get reminders like crazy. You can still run past the 30 day deadine, as long as you don't shutdown. Once you shutdown/crash etc. ..you have to activate to get log-in again. When i bench my machines, i install...without activating..and still use the net.. then reinstall after the 30 days again....and so on and so forth(PITA kinda).
yes you are right, i didnt think about that.
Old November 14, 2008, 09:48 AM
Top Prospect

For everyone wanting to give WHS a try, take a look at this link.
Order Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition with System Requirements
Microsoft is offering a 90day trial, I currently have it in the mail as I'm undecided as to what OS I'll be running. I want Windows Server 2003 or 2008, but cannot justify the price. As DH mentioned, I'm kinda annoyed that WSUS wasn't included in WHS, but again, for 100$ you can't expect the whole package. If microsoft offered the option, I'd honestly pay an additional 50-100$ for the feature to be added to WHS, yes, it's worth that much to me.
What Linux Distro's are good for servers? CentOS, what else?
James
Old November 21, 2008, 06:41 AM
Allstar

Looking for feedback on windows home server oem ...

I know it had data corruption issues with more than one hdd but MS released powerpack 3 which I think fixed it.

The thing that I find appealing is the way it backs up all the systems automatically.
I use Acronis True Image now but depending on the system, I need to use version 8, 10 or 11. I'm tried of fiddling with this.

Don't bother posting "use linux" since I am a linux user but some of the printers I have do not have linux support and I am not ready to undertake the linux server quest ...

I use XP Pro on mine currently and I have a few questions;

Does WHS have issues with printers ie does it use XP drivers ?

Can it be setup to receive faxes ?

I remember that it was not able to backup 64bit systems, has this been fixed ?

Will I regret the day I was born if I buy this ?