Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2008, 09:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Most of those speed enhancers aren't that great and I've found at times they actually can add a bit more latency to the connection as they have a tendency to over saturate the data flow.
Agreed. I don't use either of the proprietary speed enhancers either, but felt it was important to point that out so that the OP didn't spend extra money on the "extreme-N" router thinking that he'd get the boost with a linksys nic.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 2, 2008, 09:26 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Most of those speed enhancers aren't that great and I've found at times they actually can add a bit more latency to the connection as they have a tendency to over saturate the data flow.
That's what I found out too, when I shopped the router and the adaptor(s).
Old November 2, 2008, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My setup at home:

WRT52G, rev.2 (one of the old version), located in the basement.
2 rigs wired to the router
HTPC wireless using a Dlink WUA-1340, since I had no more PCI slots available... (D-Link WUA-1340 Wireless G USB Adapter)
2 laptops
A Dlink DNS-323 NAS, wired to the router.

My G setup works great, no dropped signals. Speed is great, more than enough for surfing. All rigs and laptops are on the network, and share folders.

The adaptor you're looking for is this one: Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Adapters/Wireless-G/WMP54G. The Dlink version (D-Link WDA-1320 Wireless G Desktop Adapter) works great too. I have used both at one time (still have them, don't use them) and saw no difference.

I would love to change that WRT54G for a WRT310N Gigabit router, solely for faster speed between my wired rigs and the NAS. But I don't see myself spend $100 just for that, and have a router doing nothing.
A buddy of mine has that adapter and it pulls signals from about 200ft, my laptop only pulls 1 bar from the same distance.

jdrom:
I just upgraded my network or halfway upgraded since I have just replaced the routers for now an adapter for the HTPC is coming soon, to wireless N and even using the built in wireless G adapter's in our laptops I notice a huge increase in range. No speed increase of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 2, 2008, 01:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
jdrom:
I just upgraded my network or halfway upgraded since I have just replaced the routers for now an adapter for the HTPC is coming soon, to wireless N and even using the built in wireless G adapter's in our laptops I notice a huge increase in range. No speed increase of course.
Now you're really tempting me to pull the trigger on the WRT310N or 610N. Which N router did you get?