Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Rogers or Cogeco for Torrents? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/10599-rogers-cogeco-torrents.html)

Cheator October 6, 2008 12:21 PM

Rogers or Cogeco for Torrents?

Hey guys.

well it looks like my Bell GAS is just too crappy. I'm at 4.4 KM from the CO through copper and its just too long a loop for it to work great. I'm on 1.7 meg on the portal, and my noise margin goes up and down.

So, to get the point: I need a non bell gas solution and that looks like cable. Which one should I chose? I want to torrent since thats how I download my linux distros and stuff from CBC, is there any way to bypass throttling on these connections? Is the throttling worse than bells? Cause I could stand theirs enough that I did nothing about it.

Any suggestions on other solutions that are about the same price?

JD October 6, 2008 02:03 PM

I'm fairly sure Rogers throttling is worse than Bells but if you can work out something to "try" one of these services for a month I think that'd be best.

Cheator October 6, 2008 05:43 PM

Well i know they throttle even secure connections, but i don't have a choice, so which would be better out of the two?

MpG October 6, 2008 05:49 PM

If Bell is worse, that would truly be a scary thing. I don't torrent much, but even with encryption, I'm below 10kB/s 90% of the time, thanks to Rogers "High-Speed".

Jon_di2 October 6, 2008 06:46 PM

I've used Cogeco before but it was a couple years ago. Worked great, not sure if they throttle now, you would have to ask them I guess. But I would say Cogeco over rogers anyways.

How much Bandwith do you use? Because they both have caps on their usage.

enaberif October 6, 2008 06:49 PM

Are you guys using standard ports or are you using vague ports?

JD October 6, 2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 96721)
Are you guys using standard ports or are you using vague ports?

AFAIK they don't do port-only restrictions anymore, they do deep-packet-inspection. So changing your ports isn't going to do anything.

Chilly October 6, 2008 07:51 PM

Cogeco does not throttle downstream!

That being said, in certain areas (mine is one of them) they throttle upstream, but having your upload speed crap but your dl speed amazing is not a bad compermise compared to rogers or bell everywhere uber throttle. (again its not EVERYWHERE they throttle upload only some areas, they don't throttle dl/downstream period.)

NyteOwl October 6, 2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

AFAIK they don't do port-only restrictions anymore, they do deep-packet-inspection. So changing your ports isn't going to do anything.
DPI isn't effective against an encrypted data stream.

Cheator October 7, 2008 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly (Post 96731)
Cogeco does not throttle downstream!

That being said, in certain areas (mine is one of them) they throttle upstream, but having your upload speed crap but your dl speed amazing is not a bad compermise compared to rogers or bell everywhere uber throttle. (again its not EVERYWHERE they throttle upload only some areas, they don't throttle dl/downstream period.)

Nice! thats good news! I will probably go with their business package for 120gb down

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyteOwl (Post 96760)
DPI isn't effective against an encrypted data stream.

DPI is effective against this. All it has to do is recognize the signature of a file and bam, it's throttled.