LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23, 2008, 09:11 PM
Allstar

I sure wish TekSavvy would come to Nova Scotia :(
Old September 23, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm |___| <this close to changing from rogers, just because the only reason I have it now is that it's what my little sister uses for cable so I just got everything there, but I'm getting rid of the cable tv soon so thinking about doing teksavvy, never gone DSL though ever, I've been on cable since the day it came out oh so many years ago ahaha

Edit: My only problem is that this is what I get from rogers:

It fluxuates but I've never recorded below 10kbps, /shrug.. I'm just unsure how much of a difference it'd make if I went to TS's 5.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.

Last edited by encorp; September 23, 2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old September 23, 2008, 10:26 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I'm |___| <this close to changing from rogers, just because the only reason I have it now is that it's what my little sister uses for cable so I just got everything there, but I'm getting rid of the cable tv soon so thinking about doing teksavvy, never gone DSL though ever, I've been on cable since the day it came out oh so many years ago ahaha

Edit: My only problem is that this is what I get from rogers:

It fluxuates but I've never recorded below 10kbps, /shrug.. I'm just unsure how much of a difference it'd make if I went to TS's 5.
You would definitely see a speed drop if switching to Teksavvy compared to what you have now.

Other issues though have swayed lots of people including myself to make the switch. It all depends on what's important to you.

Adsl2+ with Teksavvy would be amazing though.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old September 23, 2008, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah don't want to get off topic. I just would rather avoid paying money to the big man (even though with teksavvy it eventually gets to bell lol).
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 24, 2008, 06:43 PM
Allstar

Yeah, unless you bond two lines with MLPPP, you won't get 12Mbps from TekSavvy. For that though, you need two TekSavvy subscriptions and two modems (and two phone lines, or run one/both on dry loop).

@Sky
Pretty much any ADSL modem will work with TekSavvy, as long as you can configure its VPI/VCI settings to Bell Canada. Any modem you buy from a store should let you do this. The 2wire modem is popular, but it's hard to come by nowadays unless you eBay. I'm trying to remember the name of another ISP that sells modems separately (you don't need to be a subscriber to buy from them). Edit: Found it Hardware - Caneris
Old September 24, 2008, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I saw their options, what exactly is dry loop?
Old September 24, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I saw their options, what exactly is dry loop?
A teksavvy dryloop (which is a Bell GAS dryloop) is a phone line just for ADSL. It has dialtone and you can dial 911 and 310 numbers but thats it.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old September 25, 2008, 03:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i have been using teksavvy for over a eyar now. And let me say that i would probably not switch for anything. Their customer service is really good. Also if you are not going voip for your phone line you can get a land line phone service through teksavvy as well. As for my setup I am using a 516+linksys GL w/ tomato from fixppp.org (it has the multilink options the regular version doesn't) I am also considering getting another dry dsl line and bonding the connections together. As for pricing they are extremely competitive as they are one of the few ISP's that i have seen left that are still offering unlimited packages. If you do sign up with them please refer me i get a discount on my bill :) But you will need my real name. Which is Duh Duh Duh........ Michael Maher. Also i would head over to the dslreports forums and post your questions there as tsi members routinely peruse the forum.

Old September 25, 2008, 09:25 AM
Allstar

The only company I would switch for is ColbaNet, because they offer 24Mbps ADSL2 (although that quickly diminishes with distance, so in reality it'd only be ~10-15Mbps). But their ADSL2 service is only available in a limited region of Montreal. Then again, the upload with Colba would still only be 1Mbps, whereas I could get 12Mbps down/1.2Mbps up from Tek for the price of two lines.
Old September 25, 2008, 10:46 AM
MVP

The potential of Teksavvy offering ADSL2+ service in the not to distant future is one of the major reasons I moved to them among others.
Colbanet offers this service but it is limited in availability at best in particularly coming from an ISP with less than perfect reviews as per Broadband Reports & others.

A few months ago we received notice from Bell that the area I live in had been been completely converted to fiber & found that both 7 & 16meg DSL service was available from Bell. While the 7meg service actually ending costing less than the 5meg plan we were on I still left Bell for various other reasons one of whis was the high price for Bell's 16meg offering.

So far TekSavvy has been a joy to use but more speed is always always welcome.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply