Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2008, 04:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hey Skymtl i got Teksavvy about 3 months ago first off please so you do not have the same problem as me make teksavvy hook up your internet wayyy before your bell internet expires. This is what happened i canncelled my Internet for June 19th i was using Rogers i called up Teksavvy 6 days prior to June 19th as they said they need 5 busineses days to get everything done. Well the 20th of june came around and i had no internet then i called them and they said it was Bell's fault they had way too many customers switching. So finally on the the 22nd i had no internet for 3 days. I kept calling and calling finally they called Bell and put my work order in priority and a Bell service technican came to my house. HE WAS ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS i mean really cluelesss...He did not understand the fact i had never had bell before he was asking me what all these wires were lol i was not sure to be scared or start to laugh.

He did not know the company teksavvy so he was hooking up the modem and i finally got some lights and so this ended his help and he left, my modem still was not working so i tried to call Teksavvy when i noticed i had no dial tone. I WAS PISSED so i took my handy Cellphone thank god i had my cell phone and called up BELL which transfered me to a guy in Bangladesh i swear classic transformers indian guys voice " Sir speak clearly to the mic " So I tell him a service technician came to my house and hooked up my new internet but now i do not have a dial tone of my phone. The day was tuesday, he quickly responds i will send you a technican on Thursday . I go YOU piece of **** get that stupid mother ****** back to my house and fix my internet and my phone.

Its funny how swearing seems to get things done quicker. He quickly transfered me to a women who was his manager who was trying to calm me down. She spoke very good english and after about 30 mins she called up the technican who was at my house prior and he appologized as he did not tighten a bolt properly and made the same mistake at another house he just went to.......

Sooo i do not blame Teksavvy for the technician but please give your self plently of time for Bell to screw around with you, :) and btw teksavvy gave me a credit and did not charge me till the 22nd.

Thats the modem i got i got it of ncix for 56 i think it was. I do not know if you already have splitters on your phone you will need that but im guessing if you had bell then you already do.

Speedtouch 516
Purchase for $99

The modem works great just every 2nd day i have to reset it cause ill lose the connection now i do know if its because of the modem or my Linksys router. Im plannin to buy a new N router to see if it makes a difference but its not a huge bother. Ohh and teksavvy customer service is very good very helpfull and they know what they are talkin about they helped me bridge my router to my modem i was clueless how to set it up because i always had rogers.

The End
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Last edited by Dashock; September 22, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old September 22, 2008, 04:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Actually, I would be starting TekSavvy as a new customer and NOT having Bell first. Are you saying I would need a Bell technician to install the modem even though I would be a TekSavvy client?
Old September 22, 2008, 05:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Actually, I would be starting TekSavvy as a new customer and NOT having Bell first. Are you saying I would need a Bell technician to install the modem even though I would be a TekSavvy client?
I think Bell would have to do something with the phone lines regardless since once the current owners move out, I'm pretty sure Bell will disconnect the line.

Just be prepared for problems/waiting and it won't be as bad...

My transition from Bell to TSI was absolutely perfect. I honestly couldn't ask for better. Totally seamless and no downtime that I noticed.
Old September 22, 2008, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ok SKY.. Sorry to say D-Link router/modem.. dunno what I was thinking.. Its a Linksys ADSLME3.. What ya say boss :)
Old September 23, 2008, 04:55 AM

I will probably be going with the 516 + WRT54GL.

Now I have to do a million other things like contact TekSavvy,make sure my home phone is transfered to the new place, change all my billing addresses, transfer Videotron, paint, clean, buy more furniture.....good lord.
Old September 23, 2008, 05:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
I will probably be going with the 516 + WRT54GL.

Now I have to do a million other things like contact TekSavvy,make sure my home phone is transfered to the new place, change all my billing addresses, transfer Videotron, paint, clean, buy more furniture.....good lord.

Do you only get the cable form videotron ? or you get the phone ?

moving... It seems it is Quebecers national sports. Are you starting to get the same sickness ?

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old September 23, 2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Thanks SKY for not even paying attention, somebody offers something, and you ignore him. Bull Shit.
Hey hey. I was paying attention to you. I just got a deal I couldn't turn down for a brand new 516.

Your offer was very much appreciated.
Old September 23, 2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
Do you only get the cable form videotron ? or you get the phone ?

moving... It seems it is Quebecers national sports. Are you starting to get the same sickness ?
I got a place I couldn't turn down. 6 1/2 that is really a 7 1/2 upper Duplex 5 minutes away from work, in front of a park, with parking...for $850/mth.

I will be getting cable with Videotron but in all reality their prices are a freaking joke. $67 / month with 100GB and 10mbps? Please...
Old September 23, 2008, 07:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Hey hey. I was paying attention to you. I just got a deal I couldn't turn down for a brand new 516.

Your offer was very much appreciated.
SKY I should first apologize for saying something like that, not had a very good start to the morning. Sorry.. but yes that 516 isn't a thing to pass :P
Old September 23, 2008, 07:38 AM
MVP

I just switched to Bell from Teksavvy 3 weeks ago. I had B2B2C cable, resells Videotron here in Montreal, for over 3 years prior to my short stint with Bell (3 months).

- As for a modem I purchased locally a $35 TP-Link TD-8610 ADSL2+ Modem & am so far 100% happy with it. It's in bridged mode & my router deals with the login & MLPPP. :-)
- I went with the 200G limit plan due to the advertised lower latency as compared with the Unlimited plan. (Also $4/Month cheaper).
- I added the $4/Month static IP option which also comes with Usenet access which works great. This was offset by the $3/Month discount I got for belonging to a Teksavvy registered users group.

I would purchase your own modem. A good model can be had for cheaper than Teksavvy sells thier offerings for as I have shown. Make sure to get an ADSL2+ capable model as there are rumblings that Teksavvy may be able to offer this service in the future. Here is the model I purchased.

osCommerce

As for speed Cable was the fastest but not by as much as I though it would have been. I regularly observed 860k/s downloads with my cable lines dropping to around 800-820k/s when I went to Bell's 7meg plan. With my Teksavvy account I see around 700-760k/s peak. This I believe because they are not able to offer the 7meg profile........yet..... but it is still fast for an advertised 5meg line.

As for a router I would scrap the D-Link plans. A Linksys WRT54G (V1-4) or a WRT54GL running Tomato/MLPPP is your friend........................

So far I am satisfied with Teksavvy. My only hope is that they clear those final hurdles and start offering ADSL2+ service at a very competitive price in the near future.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply