Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2008, 10:51 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

You would be fine with a crossover cable--just make sure that's what you get, and NOT a normal cat5e cable! Then you set your primary LAN adaptor to "share internet connection," your secondary adapter will set itself to a specific IP address (I don't remember off the top of my head) that you will use as a gateway from the second computer. It's not very hard to do, and works quite well, in my experience. The only hitch is the need to have the primary computer on ALL THE TIME, if the secondary computer is going to be folding, or otherwise require and internet connection, as the bridge between the two LAN ports is software-based, rather than hardware-based.
Old September 17, 2008, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Wow you guys are just amazing.

For my personnal knowledge, The difference between a cross-over cable vs cat5e is the way Data can flow through it ?

IF I understand correclty, I will :

- go to my Lan connection manager between my cable modem and my computer to allow it to share the connection with other computer. I will have to see how to do this under vista.
- Then plug a cross-over cable between my current rig and my future HTPC/Tv tuner/Folding machine
- Then setup a VNC server on my current rig and an open vnc connection on my second rig so I can control it this way whitout any screen/Keyboard/mouse on the HTPC.

My other option would be :

- Buy a Router, thus each computer will have a hardware connection to the internet. Here I dont need a wireless router has I would want to plug the 2 computeer with direct wire since they will both be close to the modem.
- Then use a VNC software to manage the secong computer

My question for the second scenario is :

Not sure how my current computer will be communicationg with the HTPC. Does the router permit direct connection between the two for folder and file sharing ?

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old September 17, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yes it does, once you connect both pcs to the router, just setup a workgroup on both pcs (with the same name off course), once you restart the machine, you can share almost anything you want. You then just have to go to Network, go the the workgroup (you created) and you should have the other pc listed.