Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13, 2008, 05:20 PM
Top Prospect

Default Router to a Router?

Well I'm having a bit of a problem... I would like to "extend" my wireless internet to the other end of my house so I can get better coverage. Right now I have a D-link DIR-625 running my network and it works great! I have a old D-link DI-524 and would like to use connect this to my other router. Basically I have a spare lan port free on my router and I have a long enough cat5-e cable to reach were I want my wireless. I have tried just plugging it and hoping that it would work but it has been proven not to be that simple. Any got an idea how I could accomplish this?
Old September 13, 2008, 05:51 PM

My System Specs

IF you want to have both routers on the same wireless network you and both be broadcasting the signal so you have better coverage, they will need to be setup as a WDS or a repeater. Very few routers support support WDS however. But if either of those routers are able to run V24 of DD-WRT then that can solve your problem.
Old September 13, 2008, 06:00 PM
Top Prospect

I want two different networks so I can have different passwords.
Old September 13, 2008, 06:08 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

no problem. Turn off dhcp and router functions on the second router. Do not plug the cat5 into the wan port on the 2nd router. Plug it into any of the 4 others, it will act as a wireless access point/switch.
Old September 13, 2008, 06:16 PM
MVP

You should also change the IP of one of the routers - currently they both have 192.168.0.1 - change one of them to 192.168.0.2 for example

goggle -> connect +two +routers

Last edited by bushwhacker; September 13, 2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."
Old September 13, 2008, 06:27 PM
Top Prospect

Works great!

Thanks for all that helped.