Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Advice on which laptop to purchase?? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/9378-advice-laptop-purchase.html)

tao5269 August 15, 2008 10:19 AM

Advice on which laptop to purchase??

Futureshop

Future Shop: Computers: Laptops: Acer Extensa AMD Mobile Turion 64 X2 TL60 2.0GHz Laptop (EX5420-5571)

Acer Extensa AMD Mobile Turion 64 X2 TL60 2.0GHz $499.99
Video card is ATI Radeon X1250
have Firewire

Future Shop: Computers: Laptops: Compaq AMD Turion X2 RM-70 Dual-Core 2.0GHz Laptop (CQ50-106CA) - Bilingual - Future Shop Exclusive

Compaq AMD Turion X2 RM-70 Dual-Core 2.0GHz $599.99
Video card is NVIDIA GeForce 8200M
no Firewire

Both have 15.4', 3GB DDR2 and 250GB HD. Is the 8200M much better than X1250?? I want to use Photoshop once a while for simple edit, and of course watch 720p & 1080p movies.
Which one u guyz recommend?
Thanks!

1Tanker August 15, 2008 11:19 AM

Neither. You're better to stay away from the Turions... they're harder on batteries than C2D based Lappies.

I would recommend this one. The graphics aren't quite as good as the AMD/ATI-1250, but are plenty for a general-use laptop. The C2D will work great in photoshop.

If you can't cough up the extra $100..pre MIR...but can get another $20, then this one would also be a great choice. GL :biggrin:

subliminal August 15, 2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tao5269 (Post 79606)
Video card is ATI Radeon X1250

Video card is NVIDIA GeForce 8200M

Don't be fooled by Futureshop specs, these are both integrated gpu's and will take memory away from the ram.

Wait another week or so and there could be deals to be had when back-to-school sales comes around.

Jmac August 15, 2008 12:29 PM

Of those 2, the Compaq is the better unit by far ...

- Acer's Extensa chassis (basically the old Aspire chassis) is shit. Major problems w/ the hinges cracking after prolonged use, broken solder joints at the AC adapter input, and poor support behind the LCD panel.
- The Compaq uses the new Griffin processor, which is faster clock-for-clock and more power efficient as well.
- The Compaq uses a more up-to-date and power efficient chipset which features a substantially better integrated graphics processor. While it still won't be suitable for gaming in the typical sense, it will be adequate for "casual gaming" (older and less-demanding games) and HD playback.

Jmac August 15, 2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Tanker (Post 79620)
Neither. You're better to stay away from the Turions... they're harder on batteries than C2D based Lappies.

I would recommend this one. The graphics aren't quite as good as the AMD/ATI-1250, but are plenty for a general-use laptop. The C2D will work great in photoshop.

If you can't cough up the extra $100..pre MIR...but can get another $20, then this one would also be a great choice. GL :biggrin:

The new Turions are very close in terms of performance per watt to the Core 2 Duos. Personally, I'd rather have a Turion than a Pentium Dual Core ...

tao5269 August 16, 2008 11:45 AM

Thanks..I perfer to get it from Futureshop in case there is a problem.
How about this one? It's at $849.99 thought.

Future Shop: Computers: Laptops: Toshiba Satellite Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0GHz Laptop (M300-02Q) - Future Shop Exclusive

Core2Duo T5750, 4GB memory, 320GB HD, Graphic ATI Mobile Radeon HD 3470 with dedicate 256MB VRAM.. 14.1' display, battery 3700mah and weight 2.34kg
I think the processor and dedicate graphic should be good enough for some Photoshop? and maybe simple video editing?

SKYMTL August 16, 2008 03:59 PM

First of all, avoid Acer like the plague. I have had nothing but trouble with them.

I would recommend a Dell. They CS here in Canada is based in Ontario and is extremely good. I would recommend a Vostro since you get an upgraded customer service plan.

Anyways, I am going to recommend this one but upgrade the GPU which will still bring it to under $900:

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

NyteOwl August 16, 2008 10:47 PM

If I had to stay within Futureshop's offerings, and looking thorugh what they have,I'd go with:

Toshima RM-70

It has decent graphics with discrete memory (not shared with the operating system) and that memory is expandable. Lots of connectivity options, Digital audio and HDMI outputs and is not too bad a price at $800.

My first choice for laptops is inevitably Thinkpad but FS don't carry Lenovo.

1Tanker August 16, 2008 11:52 PM

I only recommended the 2 i did, as i "assumed" that you wanted to stay in the $500-$600 range, and chose NCIX in case you're ordering from outside of BC(no PST then). :doh:

enaberif August 17, 2008 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 79939)
First of all, avoid Acer like the plague. I have had nothing but trouble with them.

I would recommend a Dell. They CS here in Canada is based in Ontario and is extremely good. I would recommend a Vostro since you get an upgraded customer service plan.

Anyways, I am going to recommend this one but upgrade the GPU which will still bring it to under $900:

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

I like Acer just don't but their stuff under $700.

I bought 2 identical Acer laptops for family members and they were about $950 a piece.