Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2008, 02:19 PM
Rookie

Default Extreme Gaming Laptops

i want to get a laptop in the next year or so and i want a laptop that will be able to do anything especially gaming and has a nice big screen anything 17" and over is fine. i was thinking like the alien ware m17x or dell xps 1730. money = not an issue. so does anyone now any great brands or products?

Last edited by triumph; August 13, 2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old August 14, 2008, 12:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Not that im selling one or anything, but the XPS M1730 has been great for me especially gaming, hasn't had any issues running everything i've thrown at it. Even crysis on high is playable however i'd recommend playing on mostly medium with some high.

Get around 4000PPD on Folding@home GPU and SMP client (if your interested).
Old August 25, 2008, 02:46 PM
Top Prospect

currently the best valued gaming laptop out there is that new one by Gateway. it's got a lot of enthusiasm around it due to the power it packs and how much cheaper it is then the majority of competing brand names surrounding it. darned if I can recall it's model tho. dual 200GB HDD's in RAID 0, it may have SLi, not sure, but at least something like the 8800M GTX, if not one of the newer 9xxx parts. just make sure it has a 64bit OS, otherwise you can have all sorts of RAM plugged in but get little use due to so much of the 4GB addressing 32bit can do being taken up by the GPU part alone.