Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Acer Aspire One

Currently, to me at least, it seems like the is the best for the buck sub notebook thing, has anyone had any experience with either this or its competetors? And is the EEE 901 or 100 worth almost twice as much?
Old July 24, 2008, 05:54 AM
Rookie

If all you want to do on a netbook is browse the internet, Acer Aspire One is not bad... it uses a form of Linux as its OS. If you want to run more traditional software, add the MSI Wind and Asus EeePC 1000H to your shortlist. Both have 80 GB hard drives (as opposed to 8 GB SDD on the Acer Aspire One) and use XP as their OS. All three use the Intel Atom CPU which is single core but hyperthreaded.

I got the MSI Wind for my wife and she likes it. It is quite fast taking less than 30 seconds to boot XP to the desktop. Performance is pretty decent even after I installed Windows Live One Care anti-virus. I also connected it to an old 19" LCD monitor via the VGA cable and it could run apps on 2 monitors simultaneously (1280 x 1024 on the 19" LCD, 1024 x 600 on the netbook) with no problems. The only shortcoming I could see with the Wind is its tinny sounding built in speakers. You could, however, plug external speakers via the output jacks. I got the Wind from Staples Business Depot for around 530.
Old July 24, 2008, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

the acer actually has a 120gig harddrive as well its just the huge difference in price for no real difference that I can find
Old July 24, 2008, 07:15 PM
Rookie

The current version of the aspire one being sold in stores only has the 8 GB SSD HDD and runs Linux:

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AOA110-1295 NoteBook Intel Atom N270(1.60GHz) 8.9" Wide SVGA 512MB (onboard) Memory 8GB SSD HDD Intel GMA950 - Laptops / Notebooks

The version with the HDD has not yet been released.
Old July 24, 2008, 11:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Meh, I want the linux over xp, I never really liked XP and the linux one should be more efficient resource wise. And I'm not buying right away and it's no trouble to preorder from NCIX. So in general I'm just speculating on which is the better now before I put my money down.

And its not whats shipping now that I'm interested in, its what will be shipping soon.
Old July 25, 2008, 05:58 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Meh, I want the linux over xp, I never really liked XP and the linux one should be more efficient resource wise. And I'm not buying right away and it's no trouble to preorder from NCIX. So in general I'm just speculating on which is the better now before I put my money down.

And its not whats shipping now that I'm interested in, its what will be shipping soon.
You asked for an opinion and I gave it not knowing you prefer Linux over XP. Wait for the version of Aspire One with the hard disk, I am pretty sure it will cost close to what the Wind costs right now. With the Wind, you could set it to multi-boot Linux or even OS/X if you prefer that as others have done.
Old July 25, 2008, 06:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

the 8 gb SSD should be plenty. I run windows XP on my 4 gig eee and have a 4 gig SDHC card. Works like a champ.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old July 25, 2008, 06:27 PM
Top Prospect

My wife and I are thinking of preordering one of the units from NCIX with the 120g hd and the 6 cell battery and a gig of ram. We have a 13 year old daughter who had a very good school year, and earned a prize. I will also add that she is disabled and has an awkward use of her hands, the mouse is no problem a wirleess would do fine. Its the keyboard how small is the keying area. She will probably use this for internet surfing and homework but also enjoys music videos will these play music videos and movies. Are these a decent quality or a waste of money. and how is Acer customer support and warranty. Any feedback appreciated as I am a little skeptical of Acer, or any other suggestions in the same price range would be great.