Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2008, 08:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Laptop Options?

I'm in the market for a laptop for when I go back to college, nothing too powerful is neccessary but I do want something thats fully featured.

The things I DO want:

Integrated bluetooth
Small form factor, sexy looks
Webcam
Nice keyboard, a LOT of laptops fail at this

I'm kind of looking at the MSI Wind, it seems to do what I want, but I'm not sure of the keyboard, no idea if its nice. Some just don't feel responsive, nor do they place the keys in the right places.

The most I'm intending to spend before tax is $700, and a big hdd/screen are not needed.

Then on top of that, whats a nice Bluetooth mouse, and it can't be one of the itty bitty portable pieces of crap. I've searched high and low, and while sites do state specs, size and build quality isn't something a site generally lists.

Any help would be great.
Old July 2, 2008, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hmmm.... That is a tough price point....I would suggest saving about $200 more, and going for an LG E300 or Asus. They usually have a lot to offer at good price points. Stay away from Acer, HP and toshiba. Sometimes, Sony might have something to consider, but LG or Asus 1st.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old July 3, 2008, 06:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

How about the ASUS Eee PC 900?
Old July 3, 2008, 06:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I was considering it, but I find its keyboard a bit too small. Not a big fan of the mini enter/etc keys.

The MSI Wind has really caught my eye though, and the keyboard seems to be bigger, plus all the features and the price is perfect.
Old July 3, 2008, 10:46 AM
Allstar

The HP Mini-Notes have a really nice keyboard on them ...

HP Compaq 2133 Mini-Note PC (KX870AT) specifications - HP Products and Services Products

or, if you want Windows XP instead of Vista ...

HP Compaq 2133 Mini-Note PC (KR939UT) specifications - HP Products and Services Products

Both are slightly over the $700 budget ($720 and $750 respectively). Technically, you can get ones below $700, but they lack Bluetooth, CPU speed, RAM, etc.

List of models - HP 2133 Mini-Note PC Products and Services

We have one model (the first one I listed) at Staples if you wanted to try out the keyboard ...
Old July 3, 2008, 10:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've been looking into these as well, the Wind seems to be the best so far, it can come preconfigured with Suse Linux which is a major bonus. If I could get a Mac Book Air for even $1000 I would but Apple always seems to put their products out of reach of my Scottish blood....

The only problem is I don't see too many canadian sources for it...

Old July 3, 2008, 04:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The mini-notes look fairly good, but I've never actually had any experience with HP products in the past, customer service(aside from hardware issues) means next to nothing to me, is the build quality good on them?
Old July 3, 2008, 06:32 PM
Allstar

Seems pretty good ... We haven't had them for long, though ...
Old July 17, 2008, 11:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

I loved dealing with HP warranty issues when I was still in retail (~6months) but we were an authorized repair centre. But the Wind has caught my eye as well... way nicer then an E-tard PC from Asus.

Old July 17, 2008, 10:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

k.. well it's clear your set on a Wind. ***disclaimer: my post is directed to talk you OUT of buying it as i think Cptn Vortex's suggestion is bang on***

1)
But i'd try and get my hands on one first before just picking one up. It's a 10" screen so it will be small.. and so will the keyboard; making typing slow, fumbling, frustrating and awkward. My company has done tech support for a oil company CEO that has the Sony Vaio TZ series notebook. It has an 11 inch screen and i CURSE at that keyboard because it's so small. (note it's 1 inch wider than the Wind).

2)
These mini laptops are slow as snot; dont say i didn't warn you.

3)
I can assert that the Asus and LG line of laptops are rugged, solid, good performers for their money. 15 inch screen is a good compromise IMHO. And i really like their keyboards response, feel and layout. The only laptop maker whose keyboard layout i truly loathe is Toshiba.

P.S.: the Asus series notebooks have a pivoting web cam. It's worth checking out.

happy shopping. I spent over a month hunting down my last laptop purchase... THERE'S JUST TOO DAMN MANY TO CHOOSE FROM!!!