Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Cool Gaming & ASUS M50SV-A1CORE 2 Duo T9300 15.4IN WXGA+

Hey all,
Been awhile since I've been on here....must mean you folks succesfullly helped me in finding my "Sweet Spot" OC of my (now) 3 month old Rig.
Anyhow, as the Subject states, I picked up that Asus Laptop for my son, hoping he has some luck with gaming, not sure yet as he's just getting it Registered etc.
Specs are:
Centrino Duo Core T9300 2.5 Ghz 800 Mhz FSB 6 MB L2 Cache - Penryn
3GB 667Mhz Memory
Geforce 9500M GS 512MB

I was completely in the dark looking for Laptops for him, did the Future Shop, Staples etc and found an Acer Apire for 1K, same GPU but a T5250 Processor @ 1.8Ghz, but there were none in Stock and buddy wouldn't give me a "floor model discount"...needless to say wasn't going to pay full price for something that a thousand people have had thier mitts on 7 days a week!

Anyhow, found the Asus at DC for $1360 and figured it would be a good Notebook for him.

Any thoughts, reviews etc ???

Regards
Bob

Old June 6, 2008, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Link to Asus

This is the one..

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=ASUS

Old June 6, 2008, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Link to Asus

This is the one..

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=ASUS

Old June 7, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As long as you don't expect fantastic battery life from this machine you will be very pleased. That is THE "on a budget" gaming laptop out there right now IMO. T9300 & 9500GS = Woot! Asus have bad battery life but the Penryn CPU and 9500 GS will help with extending the life a little.

You bought a powerhouse system. The 9500M GS is a die shrink of the same graphics card I have in my laptop (8600M GT). There's lots of info online but basically it is a mid-range gfx card that will get you med-high settings on newer games (not necessarily including Crysis :P).

You were right to stay away from FS, BB etc...

There are some user reviews here...
M50Sv: Review & Owners' Lounge - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion
Asus M50Sv-A1 User Review

Enjoy!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 16, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

make sure to go through that laptop (great specs on it btw!!) with a fine tooth comb and remove everything you dont intend to use (and there is ALOT there that you wont intend to use. it should be illegal to put so much garbage on computers... its so bad that FS and BB actually have a service to remove all that crap) Get RID of NORTON, thats going to be your number 1 fps killer, invest in NOD32 or AVG for antivirus (avg is free, but not quite, but close to as good as nod32, nod32 has a charge but is better)

No joke, A Geologist i was working with had a laptop very similar to that one. He saw me playing flight sim x on mine and thought it was pretty cool so he went out and bought it. i installed it for him and tweeked flight sim as much as i could (that games NEEDS to be tweeked) and i was only able to get 10 FPS, where my, much lesser system, was getting 25 in the same airport with the same graphics settings. I convinced him to let me have my way with his laptop for the night, by morning, after cleaning out all the promos and norton and a bucket load of BS services and tweeking his vista a wee bit, we went back to that exact same airport with the exact same graphics settings and he was getting FIFTY FOUR frames a second... even "I" was surprised at the difference....

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0