Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2017, 08:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Ebay Replacement Cell Screens

Hey guys,
My girlfriend cracked up her 8 month old samsung S7 edge screen.
The phones digitizer still works so a glass replacement is all that's needed.
I checked ubreakifix prices (an authorized service repair for Samsung) and they want to charge 299+ tax!
Ebay has a bunch of kits but the reviews are not so hot. Anyone try buying these?
Any ideas where i could get a quality replacement under 300$?
Edit: Just read that alot of people have alot of trouble changing the glass alone and that most end up having to change the screen and glass

Last edited by danmitch1; September 2, 2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old September 3, 2017, 03:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would say get her a used phone that is less than 300 and let the prices cool down, then repair it! My friend had a similar situation when his wife just bought S4 at launch and had to pay 300 when she cracked it shortly after. And in these situations is always the glass and the screen that must be changed. (Notice that it happens frequently to women?)
Edit : if she is not with Videotron get her a Xiaomi https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones...167.html?wid=4.
Old September 3, 2017, 06:49 AM

My System Specs

You have to replace the digitizer. I'd suggest not replacing the lcd + digitizer unless you are buying a genuine screen. Cheap replacements are generally not as bright. It will be difficult tho. Watch some videos online how to do it so see it its something you can do or not.
Old September 3, 2017, 07:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
I would say get her a used phone that is less than 300 and let the prices cool down, then repair it! My friend had a similar situation when his wife just bought S4 at launch and had to pay 300 when she cracked it shortly after. And in these situations is always the glass and the screen that must be changed. (Notice that it happens frequently to women?)
Edit : if she is not with Videotron get her a Xiaomi https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones...167.html?wid=4.
Yeah thats what I feared but, ubreakifix claims this "If the glass of your device has suffered a crack, but the LCD is still intact, a simple glass replacement is all you need. This service is one of our specialties can be completed in under an hour."
So why couldn't i just replace the glass myself if its just "a simple glass replacement "?
Whats even crazier is that its only 20$ more for both the lcd and the glass...

She is with videotron, im not sure how easy it is to swap the sim with another phone? should be doable no?
lol @ (Notice that it happens frequently to women?)! Yes, this seems to be quite the phenomenon, ive had my phone for more than three years and haven't damaged it yet.. hope im not jinxing my self.

Lowfat,
I watched a few videos and it looks like something i could do but like you say, where will i find the right part that isnt crappy..?

Last edited by danmitch1; September 3, 2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old September 3, 2017, 10:32 AM

My System Specs

The digitizer is the glass. They will come together. It will be harder to install then the lcd + digitizer. But generally neither is easy as there is adhesives involved. You'll need a way to evenly heat up the adhesive too. Some people use a clothing iron on low. I'd try doing just a digitizer first as that way you can keep the OEM screen. You could also try buying an OEM screen. You could try opening up AIDA64 and seeing if it lists the screen manufacturer. A single model of phone could have various manufacturers of screens, it would be a good idea to get one made by the same manufacturer. Try Aliexpress or Ebay for replacement parts.
Old September 3, 2017, 03:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ill take a look at what aida64 tells me. Worst comes to worst we might be dishing out the 300+$ for the repair
Edit: aida64 doesnt seem to show the screen Manu. Bah!

Last edited by danmitch1; September 3, 2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old September 4, 2017, 09:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I have a dead S7 - mainboard is defective, but the screen/glass/lcd is practically brand new. If you let me keep the PCB/mainboard out of it (some family pictures I want to try saving off it), I could sell it to you cheap. PM'd
Old September 5, 2017, 06:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well this sounds promising! Ill pm you back.