Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Gaming laptop. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/6970-gaming-laptop.html)

Hillsdale May 11, 2008 09:42 PM

Gaming laptop.

Hey everyone, ive been thinking about getting a new laptop for awhile, not looking to spend over $2000, and i want it to be a good laptop that can run battlefield 2 and CSS at high settings, and new games aswell.. what laptops would you guys get for around those prices?

sswilson May 11, 2008 10:08 PM

If you can wait a little bit, one of the staff over at NCIX was hinting that there's a laptop coming in which sports an 8800GT (whatever the M version is) for around $1500.

Have a look at the forums over there and go back 3 or 4 pages, there's a question about a Gateway Laptop.

Hillsdale May 12, 2008 07:57 AM

NCIX FORUMS - Gateway FX P-6831FX - NCIX Have Similar ...

what time is this expected to come out?

sswilson May 12, 2008 08:05 AM

You'd have to bug somebody over there for that info... :)

Thund3rball May 12, 2008 03:29 PM

It'd be great if the 6831 is actually coming to NCIX Canada. It was being sold at Best Buy by mistake IIRC. The price there was about $1200-$1300. But you won't find it anymore in Canada. The video card is a 8600M GTS. That thread at NCIX: Adam C (NCIX Guy) was posting in March about Gateway Laptops "coming soon" in a couple weeks. No posts since from NCIX :\

You can always sit around and wait for the next greatest thing or just go with something that meets your needs now. In a few months that Gateway is going to be overshadowed by all the Montevina laptops coming and it will be so 5 minutes ago before you can spell Montevina without looking (ha ha).

Other than a "gaming" laptop what size are you looking for, ~15" or ~17"? Are you carrying it around? Doing anythng else with it? My best suggestion is go to Notebook and Laptop Reviews (notebookreview.com), fill out the "What Laptop Should I Buy?" FAQ and take it from there. You will likely get a lot of comments about Sager/Clevo, Dell XPS and some HPs. Depending on what features are important to you will depend on what's best. Good luck :)

Cardboard box with DSL May 12, 2008 07:22 PM

If your looking for well priced and spec'ed laptops, check out the Acer 6920G/8920G lineup. With acer I find that you get what you pay for, cheep is cheep and good is good, especially for the price (Compaired to other notebooks in their spec range).

Currently I have one of these on order from Staples (with an additional $60 off in coupons, I couldn't let the deal slide), it should arrive in the next day or two and when it does I'll post an initial review (quick benches) and a follow up larger one after a week or so with the notebook.

Kilauea May 12, 2008 08:06 PM

Is it just me or gaming on a laptop is quite crappy ?
I already have a hard time using one, I find it so unpleasant...

Hillsdale May 12, 2008 08:19 PM

um, i only want to play like CSS and BF2 on it....

Jmac May 12, 2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard box with DSL (Post 57300)
If your looking for well priced and spec'ed laptops, check out the Acer 6920G/8920G lineup. With acer I find that you get what you pay for, cheep is cheep and good is good, especially for the price (Compaired to other notebooks in their spec range).

Currently I have one of these on order from Staples (with an additional $60 off in coupons, I couldn't let the deal slide), it should arrive in the next day or two and when it does I'll post an initial review (quick benches) and a follow up larger one after a week or so with the notebook.

Be prepared to be underwhelmed by the performance ... at least until you uninstall everything Acer has pre-installed on there :p

The laptop looks very, very sweet, though, I must admit ...

Cardboard box with DSL May 12, 2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 57330)
Be prepared to be underwhelmed by the performance ... at least until you uninstall everything Acer has pre-installed on there :p

The laptop looks very, very sweet, though, I must admit ...

:haha: Don't worry, Jmac. The first step with any laptop is a format and reload of the OS, but overall Acer is not bad for preloaded junk... Especially when compared to the amount of junk on a Sony laptop:angry2: