Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2014, 01:35 PM
Rookie

Default Canadian warranties for gaming notebook (MSI, Gigabyte, etc.)

Hello,

I'm considering buying a gaming notebook sometime next year, probably a GTX 970M powered MSI GS60 or Gigabyte P34 or whatever their equivalents are at the time.

However, I'm having some trouble understanding what I get warranty wise from these brands purchasing in Canada versus ordering online from the US.

As I understand it, if I order an MSI from the US, I get a two year warranty that allows the laptop to be serviced at MSI's Canadian service centers... which is nice since I live near one. The one year accidental damage protection is US only and I'm not sure if that means I'd need to send it to the US for service or if I'd lose the coverage entirely.

However, if I look up MSI Canada's warranty page, they say notebooks are only covered for 12 months. And the GS series support pages link to that warranty page. Is that an error, or is the warranty really that inferior to the American one?

As for Gigabyte, I'm having trouble nailing down anything with certainty - can US notebooks be serviced in Canada, where the service centers are, or what the warranty is for notebooks bought in Canada. Does anyone here know?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Old October 13, 2014, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure about MSI and GB, but I did confirm with ASUS a few years back that their warranty is the same for US and Canada, and your free 'accidental damage 1 year coverage' is still valid as a Canadian. I'm not 100% sure if you buy from a US site if that changes things, I doubt it, but never hurts to be sure.
Old October 16, 2014, 12:02 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Asus doesn't make a gaming machine in the size/weight range I'm looking into at the moment but I'll keep it in mind if they release one.

I'm kind of amazed just how hard it seems to be to find this kind of information online though.
Old October 16, 2014, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hands down ASUS has the best laptop warranty. Just don't buy from a retail chain like BestBuy/Walmart because the laptops they sell are not warrantied by the manufacturer under any circumstances.

Old October 17, 2014, 12:24 PM
Rookie

I've bought 3 Asus gaming laptops from Memory Express in Calgary. Had trouble with 1 about 9 months after purchase. Asus fixed it, I had it back in less than 2 weeks, and they cleaned it very well inside and out as well. They replaced the graphics card completely - I was very happy with how the whole thing went, despite being very angry at first when it broke.
Old November 12, 2014, 08:21 PM
MVP

Gigabyte RMA is in California. They make good products but I don't like the RMA is so far away.
Intel i5 4690k|DeepCool Captain 120 Cooler|Gigabyte Z97-Sli|Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB OC|2xSamsung Pro 500GB SSD|1TB HDD Raptor|EVGA 850W P2|ASUS VG248QE 144Hz|Logitech G700s|SkullCandy Slyr|Blue Snowball|Logitech c920

Sadly, I had no choice but to go Intel since AMD is not a viable option right now. I eagerly await the upcoming Zen and Polaris offerings.