Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2014, 09:35 PM
MVP

I expect they're careful not to do anything that would legally be considered price fixing. However to the consumer, the result of illegal price fixing and legal price signaling is essentially identical given certain market conditions.

Ars had a blurb and link about price signaling in their piece on this: Canada?s top carriers roll out identical price hikes in two-month span | Ars Technica
Old March 21, 2014, 04:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I know right away the prices would go up the minute I started hearing talks of capping the contract terms to 2 years. but as mentioned before, they were offering phone upgrades after two years so the compensating for the "free phone" does not justify out.

I'm still on the bell/virgin plan that was going for 55$ a month a few years back, except at the time I got it for 45$ after complaining to bell. As much as I don't like paying bell, there's no competition for the plan I have at the price I pay currently. My contract is almost up now so I won't be locked in to anyone as of next month. I'm still using my old moto Atrix and have thought of upgrading, but it still serves me well and most phone upgrades just aren't far enough ahead of it in my mind to justify an upgrade.

What I have a problem with, is if you buy a phone outright, and get a plan from one of the big 3, you don't seem to get any type of discount on the plan even though you're not paying them for a phone.....
Old March 21, 2014, 04:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Uhh yes you do. With rogers and telus you save $20 a month on a smartphone plan if you bring your own device. Not sure about bell though.
Old March 21, 2014, 04:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It's there. You just have to ask for it. They're advertising it on the radio.

It's a business plan that is also open to retentions.
Can I get videotron phone in Ottawa? I bought as they were so cheap, 50 bucks a month, everything unlimited. Except their service really sucks, I cannot get any reception in big buildings etc.
Old March 21, 2014, 07:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Uhh yes you do. With rogers and telus you save $20 a month on a smartphone plan if you bring your own device. Not sure about bell though.
that's good to know.... so if your contract runs out you've basically paid for the phone right? I should technically be able to have my plan reduced by 20 dollars.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 21, 2014, 11:49 AM
Top Prospect

I would love to see some in depth coverage of the industry, with how much they profit off a plan and then the companies breakdown on how much of the money is ear marked to share holders and network expansion improvements.

Not totally related but my personal feeling is they need to break the companies up if you are service provider you should not be allowed to own media or entertainment.
Old March 21, 2014, 01:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
that's good to know.... so if your contract runs out you've basically paid for the phone right? I should technically be able to have my plan reduced by 20 dollars.
Ya, just not sure if it's automatic or you have to call in to get them to make the change.
Old March 21, 2014, 01:37 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWilson View Post
I would love to see some in depth coverage of the industry, with how much they profit off a plan and then the companies breakdown on how much of the money is ear marked to share holders and network expansion improvements.
They are publicly traded company. See for yourself:

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...bel=IR_LANDING

Most people who trash Bell and Rogers haven't spent 5 minutes researching the issues on their own. News sites love bashing telecoms because they're easy targets for bit hits. Especially with politics so polarized.

When you look into the financials, you'll see massive debt in the billions. These networks are built off borrowed money. If consumers were being raped to the degree we've been told, the new entrants would have no trouble finding outside investment.

I don't lose sleep over $15 a month. There are much, much, much bigger fish to fry out there.
Old March 21, 2014, 02:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I find this interesting because everybody complains about the big 3 and want their rates to be less and that they are being gouged, if thats how people feel then why are Wind and Mobilicity doing so poorly, surely we their low rates as the newest entrants they should be inundated with clients. I guess now that Videotron is a National company after winning the 700mhz wireless spectrum auction for blocks in every Province people can move over to them. The second largest country in the world with a very low population makes wireless coverage expensive to build and maintain.
Old March 21, 2014, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
They usually look at your plan and say "oh, you already get a discounted/special plan, I can give you $20 off our current plans but not a discount on the plan you already have." Still, phone them and ask... I could have saved $5/mo but I wasn't happy with that, so I took free data for 3 months until I get the energy to get a real deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge22 View Post
...if thats how people feel then why are Wind and Mobilicity doing so poorly... The second largest country in the world with a very low population makes wireless coverage expensive to build and maintain.
What is the point of going with a cell phone provider who can't give you proper coverage or quality of service to save $$ and then have to pay tons extra if you ever leave their coverage area? Not everyone will save money with Wind because not everyone will always be in their tiny coverage zones.

Yes, it is very expensive to provide people with all their needs for upgraded and faster towers and more coverage, but why should I have to pay out the nose for a somewhat basic smartphone plan so that people who want to watch GBs of videos and such each month can get cheaper service? I know that's just how things work, but I'm more than happy to feel right about complaining when I'm seeing little to no benefit from the big LTE+ upgrades happening to satisfy the data hungry users. This whole "let's make plans a lot more expensive before data is added" pisses me off. I've never thought we should have plans as cheap as Europe due to the low density, but I doubt many others take the same thought process.