Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2014, 05:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Surface 2 Pro or ASUS Transformer Book T100

Just wondering if anyone's spent some time with either one of these. I'm about to start traveling for work again, so I'd like something small and portable. I definitely want to stick with the hybrid format so I can use it as a tablet and throw it on the treadmill or elliptical to make those hour long cardio sessions a little more bearable and so I can use the digitizer pen for graphic design/editing.

Obviously the substantial price difference between the two is going to mean a pretty big performance difference, but I'm wonding how the T100 would be. It'd be nice to be able to play CIV IV/V or Morrowind on it, but is it going to be too gutless for even that?

Anyone's who has tinkered with either, your input's appreciated.
Old March 11, 2014, 06:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro, same specs as the T100, it's capable of basic computing and even running Starcraft II on lowest settings without issue. So it might be sufficient for what you want to do.

Surface Pro 2 vs T100 are entirely different beasts though. The Surface is effectively a laptop and the T100 is more what I'd classify as a tablet.

It really depends if you feel you need the full i5 power or if the Atom is "good enough".
Old March 12, 2014, 09:18 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

We have the T100 at work for testing purposes. Slow, slow, slow...the CPU is running at 50% with only our VOIP application open. As a "casual" tablet, you can get by but as a dedicated on the go machine it would be pretty frustrating.

Highly doubt you can play any of those games on it, just playing around with the tablet casually feels sluggish.
Old March 12, 2014, 11:02 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

my surface pro2 runs diablo fine on low settings, wouldn't trade it for anything.

Old March 12, 2014, 12:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 View Post
We have the T100 at work for testing purposes. Slow, slow, slow...the CPU is running at 50% with only our VOIP application open. As a "casual" tablet, you can get by but as a dedicated on the go machine it would be pretty frustrating.

Highly doubt you can play any of those games on it, just playing around with the tablet casually feels sluggish.
That's what I figured. I assumed it would feel like a glorified netbook (with all the netbook pros and cons) and since there's pretty much no news on the T300 release date I think I'm going to end up with the Surface Pro 2.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm figured the T100 would have some issues, but it never hurts to take a look at the cheaper options. I think I'd get pretty frustrated with the low power CPU in it. Gaming's not crucial but if even just having a couple browsers and MS Office open risks slowing it down that's a little too low-end for me.
Old March 12, 2014, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Surface Pro 2 is a laptop replacement even more so with the keyboard.

They are heavy and bulky and don't hold well to being used by one hand let alone 2. Aside from that they aren't too bad otherwise.
Old March 12, 2014, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As others have said its really about what you want. The surface is basically a shrunk netbook (more powerful, bulkier) and the T100 is a true tablet with a keyboard attachment (slower, but more sleek).

Your call on what you would rather or what meets your needs better.