Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2013, 09:02 PM
Rookie

Default Laptop randomly going into Sleep mode or losing video signal

Short story, I have an M17X R3 that's using a flashed firepro (I think is the name) card to a 6970. Periodically the laptop will either lose video signal but everything else is going or will just go into sleep mode and come right back up.

I've checked power settings and disabled all the sleep options and its always plugged in on high performance. Watching temperatures it doesn't seem to be getting out of control anywhere but just randomly does one of the two things mentioned.

It occurs primarily while gaming, sometimes it could be within a few minutes of loading the game other times it could be after hours of playing or sometimes just not happen at all after a full night.

Any thoughts on what I can do to troubleshoot this?
Old December 25, 2013, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

does this happen in the same game and if so has it always done this in the same game?
Old December 26, 2013, 02:30 PM
Rookie

happens in all sorts of games, from WoW to SC to DOTA etc... Basically any sort of game I play it happens. I figured it was over heating but the temps seem fine. I even stuck a icepack under the my zalman laptop cooler so it'd pull pretty cold air and it doesnt help.
Old December 26, 2013, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

I say failing video chip
Old December 29, 2013, 01:52 AM
Top Prospect

Are there any driver error messages after this occurs?

I would try to test this on an external monitor if possible as well.

Have you tried reverting to stock?
Old February 27, 2014, 11:38 AM
Rookie

Woops sorry for the hugely late reply, life's been super hectic between moving and busy season at work.

I don't get any errors after when booting back into windows. this happens on both an external monitor and the laptop screen. The external monitors will just show that there is no signal/not plugged in when it happens.

I haven't tried reverting the card to stock. I feel it might be a bit beyond my comfort zone to reflash the card to what it was (I didn't do it originally). I'm at a point where I feel its worth just buying a new card for the laptop and plugging it in. Just not entirely sure, outside of ebay, where to get one.