Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2013, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Stop over-paying for Cellular plans: HOW TO

Since we have had some good discussion about cell phone plans and a lot of people do negotiate better plans for themselves, I thought it would be a good idea to put this information together. I will personally give my experiences with Rogers and let other people speak about their experiences with their carriers and try to summarize it here.

Rogers:

% discount range submitted by other forum users: 25-30%

Asking to cancel your phone, get it unlocked, or pay out your contract are good ways to get put to the "loyalty department" although you can usually get them by asking directly. Sometimes they do not like to forward you to the loyalty department, so you might have to "spice it up" a little with a bit of embellishment.

Now, there are 2 ways to get offered a deal once you are speaking to someone from the loyalty department:
1) Tell them you are planning on switching to another carrier or cancelling your contract. I personally throw in something about how I would prefer to stay with Rogers but they can't meet my needs currently. At this point they will usually offer you reasonable discounts on top of special plans to entice you to stay.

2) Bring to their attention what kind of features you are interested in creating a "customized" bundle/plan for yourself and start asking them how they can give you additional features (i.e. premium voice mail, more data, etc) and stay in your budget.

With either option it is important to do your research. Obviously it is good to know what the competition is offering, but most of the time that is actually pointless. You should focus on things such as "what features do I want, how much do they cost, what am I willing to pay, what deals are other people getting, what does it cost to go over your usage, etc." Focus on the fact that they need to offer you a package that meets your needs and budget and the cookie cutter plans on their website do NOT. One mistake some people make is to not know what current promotion plans the company is offering and get offered that plan. WE ARE NOT speaking to loyalty just to get offered a plan that is on their website already! Do not fall for this trick (I'm looking at Tellus and Bell... they tried to do this to me)!!

Remember the key point to any negotiation is to go in sounding like you have done your research and know what you want (and please be polite). Trying to get them to give you a ridiculously insane deal often looks like you have no clue what you're talking about (i.e. asking for 1GB data + unlimited talk and text for $25).

Bell:

How to Negotiate With Retentions; Getting the Absolute Best Deal

Telus:

Last edited by draemn; December 22, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old December 18, 2013, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would love to find a plan with free talk text and caller id ,voicemail I like the old standard flip phone I barely use my cell and rarely take it with me which is why I need a better plan.
Old December 18, 2013, 10:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

We have a kick ass business plan which I know is tougher to reach as a single customer or even a family but here is what I managed to get put together for us

10 phones (all iphones or samsungs) - 3 year contract
Unlimited North America Calling / Text / Photo messages
60GB Combined data 6gb per phone
CID/VM
$65/phone
Old December 22, 2013, 07:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I find the best research for talking to retentions is relying on the redflagdeals' forums. Not endorsing them or anything but there's a plethora of threads over there for separate providers (Rogers/Bell/Telus/etc.) and how people are negotiating with retentions/what retentions is offering. Rogers has recently cracked down on this and calling retentions alone is not guaranteed. Quite a few people have had to actually put in their 30 day notice with Rogers before getting a call back with a reasonable offer. Similarly, Bell and Telus have also recently started cracking down on retention deals with relatively horrendous offers and would take multiple phone calls. One thing to note is, ALWAYS be polite with them. There are notes made on your accounts across all providers and if you act like a jerk, you're not going to get anywhere with them in negotiations.
Old December 22, 2013, 07:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I would love to find a plan with free talk text and caller id ,voicemail I like the old standard flip phone I barely use my cell and rarely take it with me which is why I need a better plan.

How many daytime minutes do you use? If you really don't use a lot how about a prepaid UL evening and weekends w/ 100 anytime minutes for under $100 / year?

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...onthlydiscount

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 22, 2013, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thats not bad , the one thing that I hae is beig chrged for incoming text messages that I have received randomly from people that I do not know, in the past three weeks I have received over ten from some person that I have know clue who they are but I am being charged for these text messages.
I haven't had a contract with telus for almost three years .
Old December 22, 2013, 08:04 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
I find the best research for talking to retentions is relying on the redflagdeals' forums. Not endorsing them or anything but there's a plethora of threads over there for separate providers (Rogers/Bell/Telus/etc.) and how people are negotiating with retentions/what retentions is offering. Rogers has recently cracked down on this and calling retentions alone is not guaranteed. Quite a few people have had to actually put in their 30 day notice with Rogers before getting a call back with a reasonable offer. Similarly, Bell and Telus have also recently started cracking down on retention deals with relatively horrendous offers and would take multiple phone calls. One thing to note is, ALWAYS be polite with them. There are notes made on your accounts across all providers and if you act like a jerk, you're not going to get anywhere with them in negotiations.
Howard Forums is probably better for phone deals - it's pretty much impossible to beat the current Virgin/Koodo deals if you want something on the Robellus networks.
Old December 30, 2013, 07:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

^
I very much disagree. HoFo threads for carrier retentions aren't as active with recent deals in comparison to the RFD threads. If you wanted Virgin/Koodo deals, RFD gets on it faster than HoFo such as the Nexus 5 price error with Koodo. They picked up on that faster before it was shut down. Rogers' price errors (such as the phone deals with no device balance fees) are also posted well before they even pop up on HoFo.
Old February 8, 2014, 02:26 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Those discounts won't stay forever, so in the end you still get it in the rear.
Old February 8, 2014, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I find Koodo rewards you if you check the webpage periodically. I pay $66( +tax) a month for unlimited North America, unlimited text, voice mail, caller ID and all the rest. I have 2GB of data as well. They just recently added $10 for unlimited US, that is simply awesome for me. Haven't had a land line for the last 6 months.