Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2013, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I fought to get my phone package, it's two years old now: Nationwide favorite 10's, 500 minutes anytime, 5GB of data, CID, VM, for $55/month
Old December 17, 2013, 05:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unlimited anytime CDN wide, 3GB, CID, VVM. $120/mo all fees inc plus taxes for 2 lines. Thats like 135/mo taxes in final bill.

It'll go down to `100 for two lines once my wife is off contract in March. Havnt heard of many people with better plans then this.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 17, 2013, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Unlimited anytime CDN wide, 3GB, CID, VVM. $120/mo all fees inc plus taxes for 2 lines. Thats like 135/mo taxes in final bill.

It'll go down to `100 for two lines once my wife is off contract in March. Havnt heard of many people with better plans then this.
You've got a bit better voice package but that's expensive!

My plan w/Bell:
200 min
Fab 10
Unlimited early evenings and weekends
Unlimited text, pic, video messaging
CID
6GB data

$60/mo
Old December 17, 2013, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyups View Post
If you bring your own phone for those plans, that $70 is reduced to $50. They don't emphasize that because obviously they want you to sub a phone.
They advertise 10% off if you bring your own phone, that would be a 7$ saving. I would like a link to where you see this? Or are you just saying "if you negotiate in person" you can get this? 10% of is a pretty damn lame subsidy for bringing your own phone and getting a plan that offers a $600 subsidy ($250/mo plan = $25 off x 24 months = 600)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWilson View Post
Does anybody know how much they actually profit off of us? ...This seem accurate to everybody? Is 13% profit the right amount for a company to charge you to give to shareholders and or expand?
The fact that Rogers is willing to give me (on average) 25-30% discounts every time I renegotiate my contract, I doubt those numbers are right. I highly doubt that they would pay me to be a customer for 4+ years already. Still, the numbers you have might not reflect the full story as looking at one year alone does not account for if the year was heavy upgrading or not... get what I'm trying to say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I fought to get my phone package, it's two years old now: Nationwide favorite 10's, 500 minutes anytime, 5GB of data, CID, VM, for $55/month
hahah, I guess I need to do a better job at negotiating! $62 for premium VM (iphone), CID, 500mb, 1000 nationwide, evenings @ 6pm, unlimited text/pic/vid. That is a ton of data you get.
Old December 18, 2013, 07:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
hahah, I guess I need to do a better job at negotiating! $62 for premium VM (iphone), CID, 500mb, 1000 nationwide, evenings @ 6pm, unlimited text/pic/vid. That is a ton of data you get.
Yes, you can get way better then that through retention for the same price. I get ult min 3gb data etc for 60 a phone, and as you saw from Perenium you can exchange airtime for data if you want more...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 18, 2013, 08:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My plan is a couple of years old. 500 daytime mins, Canadwide My10, 5GB of shared data, unlimited texting, call display, VM, for $65/mo. I share the data with an LTE tablet for an additional $24/month. My wife's plan (which is on my bill) is much less reasonable, with 1000 daytime minutes, Canadawide My10, unlimited messaging, call display, VM, and 200MB of data for $45.

I say hers is less reasonable because although it has 1000 minutes of talk (which we don't use) it only has 200MB of data vs my 5GB for only $20 less. it was the cheapest iPhone capable plan I could find.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old December 18, 2013, 10:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

These new rates are ridiculous. i don't talk a whole lot on my phone, and when I do it's usually in the evening/weekends. I also hate voice mail.

I pay $68 after taxes with Fido on my current plan, which I originally signed for when I got the iPhone 4 back in 2010. Since then I've had the iPhone 5, and 5s. I probably won't upgrade via a carrier unless they can offer me a similar or better deal through retentions.

100 min, evening/weekends after 5pm.
6GB Data
Caller ID
Unlimited texting

Fido keeps trying to get me to add VVM but I don't want it.

I recall at the time of sign up, it was $25 for a 3GB data plan, and $30 for 6GB.

This is pretty much all I need/want in a plan.
Data is the key for me. There is no way I could get by on a paltry 1-2GB per month, as there are months when I've exceeded my 6GB allotment. At the minimum, I'd need a 5GB plan. Charging an arm and a leg for data, I get carriers want to make their money back with the new 2 year contracts, but this is just ridiculous.

As of this writing, I've already used 4.4GB this month. There is no way I'd get by with a 1GB plan even if it was doubled.

If and when Wind/Mobilicity ever get LTE, I think I might end up switching to them if Fido retentions can't give me a similar or better deal.
Old December 18, 2013, 04:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
They advertise 10% off if you bring your own phone, that would be a 7$ saving. I would like a link to where you see this? Or are you just saying "if you negotiate in person" you can get this? 10% of is a pretty damn lame subsidy for bringing your own phone and getting a plan that offers a $600 subsidy ($250/mo plan = $25 off x 24 months = 600)
I was simply adding various plans to my cart and either selecting a phone or a SIM, and watching the monthly rate change. In particular I was doing this with Bell, since I'll probably end up switching to a monthly plan with them and bundling in my satellite, so it will save me $12/mo for the entire bill ($8 for satellite, $4 for phone, but I see it as $12 for the phone since I get no discount without it).

If you pick any superphone with the cheapest Talk, Text and Data Plus package, it comes up as $70/mo, but if you select just the SIM option, suddenly it drops to $50 with a $20 credit for bring your own phone. If you go with the Talk, Text and Data Lite package, it comes up at $45/mo, but this time if you select just the SIM, it only drops by 10% and states a 10% discount for bring your own phone. I haven't negotiated anything, this is just "bone stock" from the website.

Again, this was only with Bell, but I'd highly doubt that it wouldn't be the same for the other two major players as well.
Old December 18, 2013, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyups View Post
I was simply adding various plans to my cart and either selecting a phone or a SIM, and watching the monthly rate change. In particular I was doing this with Bell, since I'll probably end up switching to a monthly plan with them and bundling in my satellite, so it will save me $12/mo for the entire bill ($8 for satellite, $4 for phone, but I see it as $12 for the phone since I get no discount without it).

If you pick any superphone with the cheapest Talk, Text and Data Plus package, it comes up as $70/mo, but if you select just the SIM option, suddenly it drops to $50 with a $20 credit for bring your own phone. If you go with the Talk, Text and Data Lite package, it comes up at $45/mo, but this time if you select just the SIM, it only drops by 10% and states a 10% discount for bring your own phone. I haven't negotiated anything, this is just "bone stock" from the website.

Again, this was only with Bell, but I'd highly doubt that it wouldn't be the same for the other two major players as well.
OH, it's a $20/mo discount for not having a contract and doing month to month... Yes, I kind of forgot how companies usually offer discounts for month to month plans... Funny how you have to change the SIM card from "2 year plan" to "no term" even though they charge you $10 for the sim card they offer it as a "2 year contract" for "free" (still pay $35 activation fee).

Well, looking at $500 subsidy on average for the phones that interest me, I would need to get $21/mo discounts on my plan to make it worth buying my own phone (other than the fact that I'm not locked into a contract). Knowing that I can get a subsidized phone and get around $15-20/mo discount already on my phone, this means I'd have to get around a $40/mo discount on my plan for it to be worth it for me to buy a phone out right. So if I could bring my own phone and get $80 worth of features for under $45 with tax I'd take that route. Will ask Rogers retention when I feel like getting a new phone what price they could give me.
Old December 20, 2013, 10:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm with Bell and I get

Unlimited Canada to Canada LD
Text Messaging - Unlimited Package
Unlimited Picture and Video Messaging
Message Centre & Call Display
Mobile TV
Email & Internet 6GB
Unlimited International Text
Unlimited Local Talking