Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2013, 07:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
I just was on the rogers website to see the new terms for their data overage use on plans and the page they showed me with smartphone plans were TOTALLY over-priced! $70 was the cheapest plan under "talk text and data." It is great that you get unlimited nation-wide calling (I have 1000 minutes with evenings starting at 6pm) and call display +3 voice mails included... but you only get 250mb of data (+250mb extra = 500 as a promo) and have to pay a horrid over-charge on data. My plan is so much better and cheaper. Their $75 plan is the only one that is reasonable and it is still too expensive (ignoring if you need one of the plans with crazy amounts of data).

WTF, why are things going backwards? How are you finding things with your cell phone companies if you look at their current offerings?
My Rogers plan is unlimited call in Quebec, unlimited text in Canada and 3 GB of Data, Call display and Voicemail for 60$
Old December 17, 2013, 07:55 AM
Top Prospect

Every time I see that Fido commercial for talk/text and 400mb data at $40 my gut reaction is wow only 50% overpriced. The ad is even misleading as talk is only after 5pm. I mean rogers bought hockey for 5 billion. That they can do this just shows how much the companies are gouging. Something needs to be done to drive prices down.
Old December 17, 2013, 08:09 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Prices have come down, you simply need to forget about a device subsidy.
I for example have 3 lines on a family plan with Rogers, unlimited Canada wide talk and text, unlimited international sms, CID, enhanced VM and 20GB of data to share amongst the 3 lines and that's for $80 after tax per line. That's not too shabby considering how much data I have... and this is because I have my own devices and don't bother with subsidized phones anymore.
Old December 17, 2013, 08:28 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Perhaps if we all band together and start a mobile company there could be change. :P
Old December 17, 2013, 08:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know what happened to mycellphonemyterms.com, that site was a great idea for competition :(

Prices have not come down.... The only real difference now is that they're forcing you to have a "bundled" service of texting, calling, etc at a higher starting price for smartphones and have completely re-structured the data to be more expensive for the smaller data users and more affordable for the high data users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWilson View Post
Every time I see that Fido commercial for talk/text and 400mb data at $40 my gut reaction is wow only 50% overpriced. The ad is even misleading as talk is only after 5pm. I mean rogers bought hockey for 5 billion. That they can do this just shows how much the companies are gouging. Something needs to be done to drive prices down.
Yes you can call it over-priced if you're talking about not getting any subsidy on a phone. That plan would be a great price if you could use it to sub a $600+ phone down to <$200. One thing I hate about "promo plans" is that most of them can't be used with any of the expensive smartphones but they advertise the crap out of them like anyone can get the plan.

Edit: I just browsed the Fido website and I'm very very disappointed with the plans and pricing they offer. They seem to be more expensive than rogers if I want to use it on high end smartphone!!!!!

Last edited by draemn; December 17, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old December 17, 2013, 10:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah the smaller companies all have seemingly better deals, but only if you take a cheap phone, or have one to use. If you want a nice smart phone (or an iphone...not saying its not nice) you have to go to a "special" pay more and get less plan.
Old December 17, 2013, 11:08 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
I just was on the rogers website to see the new terms for their data overage use on plans and the page they showed me with smartphone plans were TOTALLY over-priced! $70 was the cheapest plan under "talk text and data." It is great that you get unlimited nation-wide calling (I have 1000 minutes with evenings starting at 6pm) and call display +3 voice mails included... but you only get 250mb of data (+250mb extra = 500 as a promo) and have to pay a horrid over-charge on data. My plan is so much better and cheaper. Their $75 plan is the only one that is reasonable and it is still too expensive (ignoring if you need one of the plans with crazy amounts of data).

WTF, why are things going backwards? How are you finding things with your cell phone companies if you look at their current offerings?
If you bring your own phone for those plans, that $70 is reduced to $50. They don't emphasize that because obviously they want you to sub a phone.
Old December 17, 2013, 12:26 PM
Top Prospect

Does anybody know how much they actually profit off of us? Some basic math on Telus, Wiki has Telus revenue at 10.4 billion and profit at 1.2 . Telus website says that revenue is 11.2 billion and they have 13.2 million customers. Based on that if we bump there profit to 1.5 billion basic math has Telus making $848 a year per customer($70 month) with $113 being profit. Divide that by 12 and you get $9 a month being the average pure profit for bill. That's what is public anyway who knows how their accountants cook the books. This seem accurate to everybody? Is 13% profit the right amount for a company to charge you to give to shareholders and or expand?

I picked Telus because ther TV business is only 700k and they have 7.7 million cell phone subs.
Old December 17, 2013, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have Koodo, $56 a month 2GB + unlimited + VM, etc.... Wife has Koodo bonus plan, 1000M, 1GB data, unlimited LD, VM, etc... $45 a month.

Koodo will throw out a few killer deals any time now, they have been stellar to me, I do not subsidize phones anymore, not even the Tab. To hell with getting a pretty phone if you gotta have an ugly 2 year contract.
Old December 17, 2013, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Can't believe how much you guys get ripped for data...

3 network in Ireland, pay as you go.. top up €20 a month and have free unlimited data.. That said it is 3g not 4g/LTE.

No idea of what it's like in the Ukraine... basically I do without cos If I'm in work / home I don't need it and when out and about there is free wifi in nearly every restaurant/bar/cafe if I really need it (which I usually don't)

Usually top up my phone with less than $8 a month over there and that does all my calls and sms (though I'm not a prolific phone user and even less so there as the most common calls I make are same network and free and probably to 2 - 3 people)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"