Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2013, 11:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Eurocom Panther 5D

So I was looking at a review at Tom's Hardware, they decided to review a laptop that's supposedly puts to shame any desktop. I thought they were bluffing but I was wrong... Eurocom a Ottawa based company (I thought it was European... I mean Euro is in the word) created something called the Panther 5D, which is basically the Soviet Union equivalent of a laptop. The laptop draws around 660 W of power, so it requires 2 POWER ADAPTERS TO RUN IT! The battery itself only lasts 1 hour tops.

Eurocom called it the mobile Supercomputer and well.. it pretty much is...

It's can be a:
  • 17.3 120Hz 1080p screen that has 3D NVIDIA Tech in it.
  • Can run a SLI NVIDIA Geforce 780M
  • Can go up to an Intel-i7 4960X 3.6 GHz
  • 32 GB of DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Can have 4x 960 GB Crucial SSD in it
Starting price is 3500$.... Holy jez it's expensive but I'm honestly blown away someone decided to pack in all of this in a laptop form.
Old December 5, 2013, 01:42 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Take a look at their '5E' series as well. They call it a 'mobile server' for a reason. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 5, 2013, 05:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ya I noticed it's the same case they used for the 5SE, although it is an ugly looking case, it's still a beast none the less, although I'll be honest, what purpose does a mobile server have? :P I mean a mobile workstation I get but server?
Old December 5, 2013, 06:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
Ya I noticed it's the same case they used for the 5SE, although it is an ugly looking case, it's still a beast none the less, although I'll be honest, what purpose does a mobile server have? :P I mean a mobile workstation I get but server?
+1
Mobile server????
Old December 5, 2013, 06:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

They didn't really create anything. Those are based on CLEVO barebones systems, Eurocom is like Sager a reseller. I've got a couple of their older models that with a cpu/mem/gpu upgrade are still potent for a mobile desktop. Started with a I7 975 6gb 285m, now have i7 980x 24gb 680m.

Have an A-1 day!
Old December 5, 2013, 07:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well that explains the ugly casing lol.
Old December 11, 2013, 02:59 PM
Rookie

That's crazy. I could see some professional out there that needs absolute performance in the field getting in on this.
Old February 21, 2014, 03:03 PM
Trial Member

Hey guys, although this thread is expired, if you guys like I can offer more answers and comments about this particular mobile server.