Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2013, 07:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Galaxy Note 3 from Telus

Good Day
Thinking of getting my wife a Galaxy Note 3 from Telus for Christmas. currently $199 on two (not three ) term. Not looked into the minimum plan but probably similar to her current BB plan, about $70ish per month.

Anyone using one? Your experience with it?

I have not bought into cell phone data plans in the past. I'd get one for this phone. This will be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. If you can get wifi does the phone go to the wifi first and not count the data in you monthly data plan? I suppose you could force it to do so by shutting off your phone part in the connections manager, but it would be nice if the smart phone was smart enough to say "hey there's free wifi - why use up my limited data bytes when I don't need to". The flex plan as i understand it is $10 and up depending on data use - no idea how much data my wife will use - don't want $140 a month bills.

I guess it's time we get with the data program. We do have a USB device from Telus that we can use with a laptop (sadly not with an android tablet) and we pay $10 per month minimum data on that thing which we rarely use. I am going to see if I can at least share the data plans to that even if I also have to pay the minimum $10 flex plan for the phone, I can use up both allotments of data download before I get dinged for more usage.

One of the things this phone can do is double as a wifi hotspot which will allow the ASUS tablet to get on line. Although I wonder how much use the larger tablet will get as this phone looks like it doubles as a mini-tablet anyway.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 2, 2013, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Almost any android phone you buy today can do hotspots. The Note3 is MASSIVE and fairly large for more pople. I held it in my hands and there is no way I'd be comfortable using it or even carrying it! It simply would not fit into my pockets.
Old December 2, 2013, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As said the Note 3 is a huge phone, if you think your wife can hold it than it's a great phone, otherwise maybe an S4, motox or moto G would be a better option, the latter being $189 off contract.
Old December 2, 2013, 10:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

While it may not be the greatest choice as coming my girlfriend who looked at the Nexus 5, Note 2, and S4.. She preferred the S4mini because of its size.
Old December 2, 2013, 10:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I agree that the Note 3 is massive and I would not want to use it as my daily device. I have used all of the devices mentioned and my favorite so far based on performance and form factor would be the Galaxy S4.
Old December 2, 2013, 12:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I use a Note 2 every day and the Note 3 is actually thinner and slightly narrower. I love the phone but the size isn't for everyone. Unless your hands are large, one-hand operation is near impossible and that can be a problem for a lot of people. Plus, it's not very pocketable so if she wants to throw it into a purse, it's worthwhile getting the 'flip wallet cover' - see if you can get the dealer to throw it in for free.
Old December 2, 2013, 06:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks for the advice - I've shown her the phone at the Telus store and pointed out the size. I think she wants the best phone and is impressed with the reviews and all it can do. It is 199 to buy. Will look harder at the other android phones. I'm thinking she is more of a phone in the purse kinda person - but she is small 4'11" and not the largest hands - but she likes it. Hate to get one, lock in for two years and have her decide in week two that it really is too big. My daughhter has an android S2 and it is smaller but not by a whole lot, and her's is much thicker. I think she thinks all these phones are too big to do one handed - she even texts on her BB Bold two handed. Did start out looking at the new BB but moved on.

I did speak with Telus min plan is $75 (bonus for Black Fri week is 1GB data for price of 500mb). She now pays $58 but had no data plan.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 2, 2013, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
Thanks for the advice - I've shown her the phone at the Telus store and pointed out the size. I think she wants the best phone and is impressed with the reviews and all it can do. It is 199 to buy. Will look harder at the other android phones. I'm thinking she is more of a phone in the purse kinda person - but she is small 4'11" and not the largest hands - but she likes it. Hate to get one, lock in for two years and have her decide in week two that it really is too big. My daughhter has an android S2 and it is smaller but not by a whole lot, and her's is much thicker. I think she thinks all these phones are too big to do one handed - she even texts on her BB Bold two handed. Did start out looking at the new BB but moved on.

I did speak with Telus min plan is $75 (bonus for Black Fri week is 1GB data for price of 500mb). She now pays $58 but had no data plan.
Wait a bit and don't jump the gun. CRTC is implementing a 15 day trial run of a phone. So she could try the Note3 for a few days and see if she likes it. But to be honest I have a feeling she would enjoy the S4 much better.
Old December 2, 2013, 07:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The Lg G2 is a better version of the S4 if that makes sense. It's got a faster processor, better screen, bigger battery and has a decent sized footprint. I still think though that one of the best Androids on the market is the htc one. It's definitely better than the S4, but if you need all the software bloat/gimmicks Samsung has, the G2 is the better choice.
Old December 2, 2013, 07:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

As mentioned above me, maybe look into the Nexus 5. It's a great phone that is friendlier to hands than the Note 3. It'll run $350 up front from Google Play store, but that's the flat, total cost of the phone. You can then go with a brand like Koodo and save 10% off your monthly bill with it. It's more $$ up front but it's money in the pocket down the line.

I know this is unrelated to the phone, but I would recommend checking out Koodo. They're running a promo where they're doubling the data and minutes. $60 nets you 2GB of data and unlimited talk/text. They're a subsidiary of Telus and use the same network. Their customer service is also very awesome. Of course, there's no contract either!