Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2013, 08:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Most people I know who have Galaxy Notes are actually women. 'Size' jokes aside, they can simply pop them into their purse or bag when not using them, so they have more space to carry them. The women I know are either a bit older (want the real estate to read) or are avid readers, and want the screen size.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 2, 2013, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That is true, but how many of them have told you they're happy with it? As I see it, they probably saw the device and thought "oh that looks cool" played with it for 2 minutes and then bought it without even really thinking of the size. Not trying to be stereotypical but thats how it is with most girls I know.
Old December 3, 2013, 05:01 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Most people with notes on the subway I see are also women. I think the device suits their lifestyle better since they do carry around purses and the size of the device isn't really a problem.
Old December 3, 2013, 08:23 AM
Allstar

Not sure what kind of pants everyone wears but when I had a Note2 I never had any problems putting it into my back pocket (whether jeans or dress pants). For women they just throw it in their purse. Hell, if I could have waited I would have went with the Note 3 or the Mega haha. If she wants the Note then grab it....worst case scenario she can trade it with someone for an S4.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old December 3, 2013, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
That is true, but how many of them have told you they're happy with it? As I see it, they probably saw the device and thought "oh that looks cool" played with it for 2 minutes and then bought it without even really thinking of the size. Not trying to be stereotypical but that's how it is with most girls I know.

every woman I know is exactly that way and also carey a suitcase for a purse .

out of curiousity which phone and provider do you use supa?
Old December 3, 2013, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just wanted to say I have the note 2 and it is easily the best phone I have used. As for the size, yes when you first get it, it seems really big, but at this point all the other phones seem almost too small.

Old December 3, 2013, 09:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've had a Note 3 through Bell for over a month now and I quite like it. It is only marginally larger (naked) than my old S3 with an otterbox case. I am a bigger guy and have no problems holding it, though I really have to stretch to reach the top left corner of the screen with one hand. Fits in my front pocket fine with loose jeans or slacks. Quality wise it is the same old Galaxy... Not as elegant as an apple or HTC, actually a bit cheap looking with its fake chrome bezel and psuedo-feaux leather back. It seems to be just as durable as previous galaxies as I've had a few drops and it is still fine, has the microSD slot and removable battery that I have become accustomed to. On the subject of battery life, that is the single biggest upgrade coming from an S3. With moderate use (few calls, texts, few hours of listening to sirius, couple of games, some note taking and emails) I can easily last a day and a half vs the half day I was getting with the S3. Camera is fantastic as well. 90% of the "Samsung features" are useless, but I do like the S pen features, reading mode, air view and smart stay.

My other considerations were the LG G2 and nexus 5. I was fairly satisfied with my S2 and S3 and both were durable and reliable so I chose to stick with Samsung. My suggestion would be to pick a phone out in person so that you have a chance to pick it up, hold it to your ear and pocket it. It doesn't look too ridiculous when I make calls with it but when a small woman uses it it does look odd. My only real concern with it is that I don't know if I could ever go back to a sub 5" screen.
Old December 5, 2013, 06:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Got the Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Most people I know who have Galaxy Notes are actually women. 'Size' jokes aside, they can simply pop them into their purse or bag when not using them, so they have more space to carry them. The women I know are either a bit older (want the real estate to read) or are avid readers, and want the screen size.
Bought it - she loves it - learning to use it.
Yes it is a purse sized phone but my wife never pocketed her phone nor did she use the belt clip on I use for my Blackberry. Pictures look great. She loves that she can "hang out" on Google+ with our 3 year old grandson in Mississippi - the boy's good on tablets already (he's getting his own for Christmas).

And yes she would qualify as "a bit older" and she does like bigger print and really likes the big picture. She watches videos of the grandchildren and their photo's. I'm thinking putting together a special 32GB MicroSD card for her for Christmas - she already has a 16 GB card. It isn't full but I can see that day coming. I suppose she could swap out cards.

Now I'm looking for a good case. Disappointed in the plastic cover offered at the Telus store for $65 that's crazy. Looking at Note3 Wallet

Any recommended cases? Any brand to avoid? See some mention of the Otterbox.

Any thoughts on this Mophie Juice Pack

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 5, 2013, 07:48 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
Bought it - she loves it - learning to use it.
Yes it is a purse sized phone but my wife never pocketed her phone nor did she use the belt clip on I use for my Blackberry. Pictures look great. She loves that she can "hang out" on Google+ with our 3 year old grandson in Mississippi - the boy's good on tablets already (he's getting his own for Christmas).

And yes she would qualify as "a bit older" and she does like bigger print and really likes the big picture. She watches videos of the grandchildren and their photo's. I'm thinking putting together a special 32GB MicroSD card for her for Christmas - she already has a 16 GB card. It isn't full but I can see that day coming. I suppose she could swap out cards.

Now I'm looking for a good case. Disappointed in the plastic cover offered at the Telus store for $65 that's crazy. Looking at Note3 Wallet

Any recommended cases? Any brand to avoid? See some mention of the Otterbox.

Any thoughts on this Mophie Juice Pack

Spigen's stuff is solid:
Galaxy Note 3 | Cases and Screen Protectors for Galaxy Note 3 by SPIGEN SGP | Spigen

Much of their stuff is available on Amazon, which is useful if you want to avoid customs charges (which will happen if you order a few things).

I have the following products for the S4 from them currently:
- Neo Hybrid
- Slim armour
- GlasT nano
- Ultra crystal
- aluminum buttons

I have also had other products from them.

If you want other good ideas on accessories, check out XDA accessory subforum for the Note 3.
Fold for team #54196