Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2013, 01:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My mother has the S4.. I don't find it comfortable to hold and considering the similarity in size the N5 is more comfortable which is surprising.

On the g2 screen vs n5.. it's (like the s4) 0.05" bigger with a smaller ppi... ebb and flow, so close you can call them the same really.

On the camera, 8mp on my S2 is plenty for me so I can't see it being a problem but in the spec's race they probably should have went with the same camera and battery as the g2, even if it would have made the phone a lil bit bigger it would have made it out-right the best (less the expandable storage), though that would have been product suicide on LG's part...

For me, I think I'll wait possibly another year or 2 before upgrading (and then probably to a N5 or something similar)
Only 2 things would make me upgrade before then and they are SIGNIFICANT battery life improvements (like at least double what they are getting now) or a good implementation of the flexible lcds.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old November 5, 2013, 04:34 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The IR blasters on the S4, One, and Z/ZL series phones are not gimmicks either. As someone who works in several rooms a dat with various LCD projectors, televisions, dvd players etc (I would say I encounter a dozen or so of these each day) the IR blaster is something that I would sorely miss. My Xperia Tablet Z also has it (it even is a learning remote). While I still prefer my Harmony remote in the living room, my S4 helps in a pinch if I want to quickly change a channel or adjust the volume. I have not set it up properly to act like a 'Harmony' device yet. I use a 3rd party remote app, not the stock Samsung one.

I realize to many (myself used to be included) that the IR blaster seems to be a gimmick. But I have found that it is actually very, very useful.

The removable battery is another must for me right now. I have not seen ANY modern smartphone that would let me get through a day while travelling. While I am home, yes I think that most smartphones would get me through a day without much issue. But when I am on a trip or being a tourist, you eat through batteries taking pictures, videos, using maps, reading tourist guides, searching for restaurants and reviews, etc. On my Note 1, Note 2, and S4, while travelling, I have gone through a full battery and had 20-30% left on the second one by the time I returned to the hotel room at night.

Without an extra battery, my alternatives are lugging around a cable and extra battery pack, and then waiting for the battery to charge via the pack. Or, I could find places to plug in and charge. The battery pack would work if we were already carrying around a backpack and had some time, but there are many times that this is not convenient. Carrying around a cable and finding electricity is a chore, especially if you are in a country where an adapter is needed. And who wants to be stuck in a spot charging a phone on a trip, if you manage to find an outlet?

These two above are what sets the Galaxy S4 apart. The extra storage space comes in handy, but if I could get a 32gb phone that is debloated then I could find a way to make it work for the most part. The HTC One and modern Xperia lines are also compelling as they have the IR blasters and great build quality (the Z and Z1 are also water resistant which is helpful when travelling, trust me....). If a company makes a breakthrough on battery life, includes an IR blaster, and squeezes in 64gb of storage then I could move to a new manufacturer. Right now, my 2nd fav phone is the HTC One, but I have seen too many complaints of 'purple' camera issues to get it for wifey (who by the way, wants a new phone, and when I suggested the Nexus 5, she asked "Does it have a remote control too?").
Fold for team #54196
Old November 5, 2013, 04:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Again the HTC One does not have a removable battery nor does it have expandable storage.
I don't know anyone that makes use of a removable battery so that is a pretty moot point. Extra storage is a nice to have, but not as necessary on the htc one since it's 32gb.
Old November 5, 2013, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Geezus.. people.. its a phone! .. I can't believe people are this worked up especially those with a N4. What makes the 5 so better than 4? Almost nothing.

Fools.
Ei man I completely agree with you. N4 owner here. If you are looking for LTE support there are ROMs that activate the LTE band in the N4, it has the 1700MHz band.
Old November 5, 2013, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Ei man I completely agree with you. N4 owner here. If you are looking for LTE support there are ROMs that activate the LTE band in the N4, it has the 1700MHz band.
You mean modem. It's independent of the ROM.
Old November 5, 2013, 02:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
You mean modem. It's independent of the ROM.
No its the rom. Its a setting within the rom itself that has to be enabled to allow LTE. Modems can be changed or swapped.
Old November 14, 2013, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Been running kitkat on my N4 for about a week now, it's silky smooth with ART enabled. Just updated to the official N4 build that was released today.
Old November 15, 2013, 05:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The only amazing thing is that it is actually available on the Play store. The N4 was stupid in how poorly they handled stock.
Old November 25, 2013, 11:56 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Well I got My N5 and so far it much better than my old phone. Very snappy, screen is amazing. Battery life so far is much better, even with Bluetooth enabled all the time.
Old November 26, 2013, 05:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

^I can 2nd that.
Coming from a Galaxy nexus, the Nexus 5 is faster, feels better in the hand, looks beautiful, battery is better. There is so much to like about this phone.