Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2013, 06:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Interesting. What are your metrics/criteria that make the Nexus 5 better than the S4? Processor? Stock rom?
To me, quality. I don't mean build quality either because I've had the SGS and SGS2 and I don't mind the plastic body.

For the screen, while you may say that the SGS4 has a slightly bigger screen and higher pixel density, you most likely won't notice it unless you look at your screen in a very close distance, in which it is actually damaging to your eyes. Plus, the human eye cannot see more than a certain amount of DPI I believe. I myself see a difference in the screen quality, like colours, viewing angles. I don't see the need for a 1080P screen. Just 5 to 10 years ago (?) we got 1080P monitors and TVs. Note I have perfect vision.

Many of the speed specifications are a bit useless for me. I bought and used SGS2 months after SGS3 came out despite being "much, much slower". However unless I'm gaming (Real Racing 3 is very taxing), I never noticed the difference in speed when compared to my current Optimus G. An extra second or two isn't going to kill me. The SGS2 was the perfect phone for me because it's compact and light. The Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 are not. Neither is SGS4 or my Optimus G. But considering my Optimus G was roughly $250 to $300 on release date, I lose my right to complain. Also, when you consider all smartphones are going big like this, you know you gotta adjust and adapt.

I'm not saying the SGS4 is a crappy phone. It's a great phone, but with so many top end Androids out there, I'd say the SGS4 is 3rd or 4th on my list. At the very least, the HTC One beats the SGS4 for me. But Nexus 5 is the winner, based on what I read in reviews and the specifications, pricing, etc.

Regarding the comments on bloatware, I run custom ROMs so that isn't a problem for me. There is one problem with the Samsung Androids, and that is camera quality. Once you run a custom ROM that isn't based on stock Samsung ROMs, your camera quality goes to crap. You can thank Samsung for refusing to release the source code.

Also unless you need around 26GB of internal storage on your phone, the argument for expandable microSD is a non-factor. Don't forget that the more files you store on your phone, whether it's via a microSD or internal storage, will slow down your phone and consume battery life. Just like how tons of apps installed will slow down your phone even if you don't open them.
Old November 4, 2013, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

First I use a Galaxy S2 and running a 4.3 rom and guess what? My camera quality outside of low light is fantastic and looks very good so not sure what you are getting about there.

The reason why the phone MAY consume more battery life is because the more media you keep on your phone the more mediascanner has to run. But the same can be said about people who run live wallpapers, twitter, google, and god knows what else in the background.
Old November 4, 2013, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
First I use a Galaxy S2 and running a 4.3 rom and guess what? My camera quality outside of low light is fantastic and looks very good so not sure what you are getting about there.
My mom uses a SGS2 as well, and trust me, camera quality sucks on custom ROMs that isn't Samsung based. Same for my friend's SGS3. Don't view them on the tiny LCD screen either. View it on the computer in a reasonable size. It's well known "issue" on XDA.
Old November 4, 2013, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
My mom uses a SGS2 as well, and trust me, camera quality sucks on custom ROMs that isn't Samsung based. Same for my friend's SGS3. Don't view them on the tiny LCD screen either. View it on the computer in a reasonable size. It's well known "issue" on XDA.
While this is far outside the digital camera realm of things I would say for a Android phone running a custom rom that the quality is damn good. Or perhaps your expectations of a camera from a phone is too high.
Attached Images

Old November 4, 2013, 07:11 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Dude no more pics of your bedroom enabby!
Fold for team #54196
Old November 4, 2013, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
While this is far outside the digital camera realm of things I would say for a Android phone running a custom rom that the quality is damn good. Or perhaps your expectations of a camera from a phone is too high.
I'm merely comparing custom Samsung based ROM camera quality to AOSP/CM/PA/whatever camera quality.

May I ask what ROM for SGS2 you are using? I'd like to see if they found a way to improve the camera quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Dude no more pics of your bedroom enabby!
Didn't know he lives in a warehouse.. Maybe he has a hidden stash of Nexus 5 in there somewhere?
Old November 4, 2013, 08:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If your comparing the N4 to N5, how was SGS3 to SGS4 any different? As far as I can tell, Google/LG has done everything Samsung has. Increased screen size, increased resolution, improved the camera, upgraded the OS.

It's just the way of the world. Technology as a whole really. We get minor enhancements on a yearly basis, some of us chose to upgrade, others don't. Has there been a need to upgrade your video card in the past 2yr? Probably not. Do people still buy them? Yes they do. We aren't going to see any significant jumps in hardware/technology for the foreseeable future IMO.

At the end of the day, the Nexus series excels due to price, being unlocked and working across the majority of carriers worldwide. Some people don't want to be tied to 2yr contracts or remain exclusive to 1 carrier. In my mind, Nexus provides a reference point to compare all other Android devices to. Much like the Surface line for Windows 8 devices, it's a benchmark of what can be achieved with the OS.
Old November 4, 2013, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I'm merely comparing custom Samsung based ROM camera quality to AOSP/CM/PA/whatever camera quality.

May I ask what ROM for SGS2 you are using? I'd like to see if they found a way to improve the camera quality.

Didn't know he lives in a warehouse.. Maybe he has a hidden stash of Nexus 5 in there somewhere?
I am running SlimRom 4.3 Build 1

Build 2 was released just a couple days ago but I haven't updated yet.
Old November 4, 2013, 09:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

To those stating the S4 is better than the N5, have you used the Samsung? It's a decent phone, but there are far better phones out on the market than the S4 already. The htc one for example is a superior phone and if you like all the extra fluff Samsung includes in touchwiz then the LG G2 is a better version of the s4 with a better screen, better camera, faster and much better battery life.
The n5 is the g2 without lg's fluff and with a slightly smaller screen, camera and battery, but it's still superior to the s4.
Old November 4, 2013, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
To those stating the S4 is better than the N5, have you used the Samsung? It's a decent phone, but there are far better phones out on the market than the S4 already. The htc one for example is a superior phone and if you like all the extra fluff Samsung includes in touchwiz then the LG G2 is a better version of the s4 with a better screen, better camera, faster and much better battery life.
The n5 is the g2 without lg's fluff and with a slightly smaller screen, camera and battery, but it's still superior to the s4.
Again the HTC One does not have a removable battery nor does it have expandable storage.