Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2013, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I read here: Google Nexus 5 - Smartphones - CNET Reviews

Quote:
Google has made two versions of the handset, one specifically for North America/Asia, and another for other regions like Europe. For US consumers, Verizon customers will unfortunately be left out -- this unlocked phone will not support the carrier's bands. It will be compatible with AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint.
Does this mean if I buy one when I'm over next month it won't work when I go home or??

Anyone in the know on mobile devices can shed any light on this..
I'm 50/50 on getting one as I'm pretty happy with my Galaxy SII. But having about $70 knocked off the cost might be enough to sway me towards it rather than away.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old November 1, 2013, 12:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Tempting but I'll be waiting on reviews about battery life. After the N4, I hope Google stepped up its game. Ditto for the camera too.
Old November 1, 2013, 01:57 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yep battery life will be a key factor of the reviews to come.

This is positive news, will see how it pans out:
Nexus 5 getting battery boost from Qualcomm?s ?envelope tracking? - Android Community
Quote:
The handset also has a 2300 mAh battery, which looks like it will be getting a boost courtesy of Qualcomm.
Other handsets aside, this is something called QFE1100, which is also known as “envelope tracking.” Keep in mind, this isn’t going to magically make your Nexus 5 have all day battery usage. The overall life will still come down to personal usage habits, however this technology should help out, especially compared to a similarly spec’d handset without QFE1100.

The tracker is said to match the power that goes into the signal amplifier to the power transmitted from the phone. While that may not sound all that high-tech, GigaOm notes that is actually something rather difficult to accomplish. Particularly on an LTE smartphone. Qualcomm has said this technology will be able to reduce the amount of heat put out by 30 percent.

Furthermore, it should also be able to reduce the power consumption from the radio frequency components by 20 percent.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 1, 2013, 02:14 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Google Canada just opened some more up to buy GO GO GO, Got my Black 32GB on order! Already received the confirmation email too.
Old November 1, 2013, 02:23 PM
MVP

I totally get the hype. This is an S4 competitor selling for close to what used S3s were going for a couple of months ago.

I used to be in the 'it's only a phone' wagon. But I now recognize the value of performance on these devices. I don't use my S3 often, but when I do use it, I need it to be as fast as possible. Seconds matter for scenarios such as last minute on-the-fly research before an important decision.

I would like to see more RAM, but it's so affordable, I don't see this as a device I have to use for 2-3 years.
Old November 1, 2013, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Review:
Nexus 5 and Android 4.4 KitKat video walkthrough - YouTube

Not impressed. Yes its fast. Yes it rans 4.4 .. And perhaps someone who has an older phone or is getting into the Android world would be excited.. this phone simply does not excite me.

I just installed the new Hangouts app and its nothing different and the SMS integration is annoying.
Old November 2, 2013, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just put my HTC Raider in the shop to get a new digitizer even though this new phone looks so good. My problem is that it is imperceivably faster and there is nothing on the Android Market that can max out older phones. I have no doubt it is better than my phone, and the camera is VERY nice, but I am not ready to fall on a sword to one either.

Current phone upgrade cycle is too fast. PHones are obsolete within 1 year now. Just not necessary.
Old November 2, 2013, 08:05 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post

Current phone upgrade cycle is too fast. PHones are obsolete within 1 year now. Just not necessary.
I think in a couple of years we will see the mobile tech slow down considerably than now (unless some 'killer' new technology comes along, ie. fingerprint reader, etc....not saying the fingerprint reader is a legit upgrade....)

When I bought my Note I (first Android device), most Android phones had some kind of lag or performance issues in the GUI, the screens were simply OK, battery life OK, cameras were OK, etc. Build quality and materials kinda sucked though.

Since then, the performance of Android itself has really improved (through hardware advances and code efficiency), the screens have really improved, and the cameras have gotten much better. New useful features such as the IR blaster have taken off as well.

Over the next few years, all I can see that would make me want to upgrade would be improved cameras and battery life. Would be tempted to upgrade if more metal or nice chassis were offered....Perhaps if wireless miracast streaming is improved through hardware (works well now though).

The Galaxy S4 is an excellent device, and could do it for me for a long while. I am hoping the S5 has better battery life and a better camera for low-light (does a great job now though anyways). If they manage to improve the build quality then that would be something I really could use for a long while.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 2, 2013, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Recommendations?
ParanoidAndroid is pretty popular with lots of users.. Should have no bugs.

[ROM] [4.3] [JLS36G] PARANOIDANDROID 3.99 RC2 | Galaxy Nexus > XDA
Old November 2, 2013, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

I prefer Slimrom over anything. I hate bloated roms with a lot of useless crap in them.
Supported Devices