Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old October 31, 2013, 01:53 PM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,403

My System Specs

Default

Looks good for the price. I'll wait for some camera reviews and battery life opinions.

The IR blaster in the S4 is something that I have come to use a lot. At work, we use projectors a lot and I can just whip out my phone and turn them on, off, change inputs, etc. This summer I used the IR blaster to control hotel room televisions, etc. I thought it might be a bit of a gimmick but it really is very useful.

Battery and expandable storage also come in handy.

But if I were to avoid a contract, and a used S4 is not in the cards, then this is a great option. IMO the top choices in Android now are S4, Htc One, and the Nexus 5 (provided the camera and battery reviews come where I expect it to).
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old October 31, 2013, 02:00 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Looks good for the price. I'll wait for some camera reviews and battery life opinions.

The IR blaster in the S4 is something that I have come to use a lot. At work, we use projectors a lot and I can just whip out my phone and turn them on, off, change inputs, etc. This summer I used the IR blaster to control hotel room televisions, etc. I thought it might be a bit of a gimmick but it really is very useful.

Battery and expandable storage also come in handy.

But if I were to avoid a contract, and a used S4 is not in the cards, then this is a great option. IMO the top choices in Android now are S4, Htc One, and the Nexus 5 (provided the camera and battery reviews come where I expect it to).
The N5 battery is considerably small for the phone itself. I don't image it'll last long for people who use a phone a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old October 31, 2013, 02:02 PM
supaflyx3's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack BC
Posts: 2,537

My System Specs

Default

It's bigger than the N4s battery, so if anything it'll be an improvement over the device it replaces.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old October 31, 2013, 02:06 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
It's bigger than the N4s battery, so if anything it'll be an improvement over the device it replaces.
LOL 2100 vs 2300? That isn't what I would call an improvement.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old October 31, 2013, 02:09 PM
supaflyx3's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack BC
Posts: 2,537

My System Specs

Default

4.4 also comes with sensor power improvements.. so we should still see a 10-15% increase, which isn't bad.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old October 31, 2013, 02:14 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
4.4 also comes with sensor power improvements.. so we should still see a 10-15% increase, which isn't bad.
Lets not forget about a faster phone.. Bigger screen.

Going to say people are buying into hype WAY to much ;) You included.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old October 31, 2013, 02:27 PM
supaflyx3's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack BC
Posts: 2,537

My System Specs

Default

Faster = uses more power amirite?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old October 31, 2013, 02:28 PM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,403

My System Specs

Default

Snapdragon 800 is pretty power-efficient though enab. I'll wait for the reviews...with the screen (as you mentioned), I say it will be similar to the Nexus 4 as the gains in the cpu efficiency will be negated with the new screen. I would have taken the bigger battery....

....That said, I would gladly add some weight and thickness if it means loads of fun well into the evening.

(waits for Perinineum to chime in.....)
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old October 31, 2013, 02:32 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,605
Default

I am also going to simply wait for reviews to come in and not just stuff posed I am going to wait for actual people who do crap with their phone and not charge it and talk on it for 10 minutes then leave it on the table.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old October 31, 2013, 04:50 PM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,039

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post

....That said, I would gladly add some weight and thickness if it means loads of fun well into the evening.

(waits for Perinineum to chime in.....)
That's what your wife said to me....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nexus 4 Arinoth Mobile Computing 19 September 4, 2013 10:17 PM
Nexus 7 8GB SKYMTL Price Check 4 January 27, 2013 04:09 PM
Nexus S Shozzking Price Check 6 January 29, 2012 06:45 PM
Galaxy Nexus (aka Nexus Prime) ad5ter Mobile Computing 30 October 21, 2011 06:32 AM
Where has all the Nexus gone? CMetaphor Air Cooling 1 October 4, 2008 08:47 PM