Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2013, 12:44 AM
Allstar

Default Bay Trail tablets as Mobile Dev Machines?

Like the title says, will bay trail tablets be fast enough to run visual studio?

I've taken a look at some of the specs out there and it's not too bad really. Obviously, the CPU isn't desktop grade, but maybe it's good enough for someone running VS and 2 browsers at once? Really though, it's the amount of RAM that concerns me - only 2GB so far (although BayT can get up to 8 - it's just overkill for a tablet). Lastly, they seem to be using eMMC for storage; I'm not quite sure about the smoothness when running desktop programs.

connect it to a portable USB monitor and maybe we got something here...?

Yes, I realize that bay trail tablets aren't meant to be used like this, but if I can make it work, why not? It saves me money from buying surface pro 2/a real laptop

thoughts?

NOTE: obviously this wouldn't be my full time machine, just something I can use once in awhile as a work machine at starbucks and the rest of the time as my tablet when I'm being lazy at home.