Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 25, 2013, 12:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default US/CAN data roaming

I'm trying to find a solution that will enable mobile data connection while travelling around Canada and the US. I was thinking integrated WWAN card in an hp elite 9470m laptop. I want to plan for 10GB/month, but Rogers doesnt offer a roaming data plan, and bell said it would be 250$/month for 5GB - with an insane fee for going over the 5GB. I'm thinking that leaves me with having to get a seperate data plan for the states. Any suggestions on providers, or an alternate way to do this?
Old September 25, 2013, 12:53 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Roam Mobility.
Old September 25, 2013, 12:53 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I used Roam Mobility this summer. It uses T-Mobile's network and I found that coverage was spotty at best while driving in remote areas in NE States, but was fine in the cities:
Travel Free from USA Roaming Fees - Roam Mobility

edit: skyninja'd
Fold for team #54196
Old September 25, 2013, 01:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going to have to go with something like this in the near future, as my office will be transferred to Michigan, forcing me to commute across the border for work. That, and I won't be issued a company cell, so I'm SOL if my wife or other family members need to contact me and I'm away from my desk (or don't call my desk phone to begin with, like my wife).

Currently just using pay-per-use, so it'll be a steep increase from the ~$20 or so I'm spending per month.
Old September 25, 2013, 03:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Roam seems pretty good, looks like its a maximum of 5GB/month though.
Old September 25, 2013, 09:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like they use the T-mobile network, so it wouldn't work in Canada. Looking for something that allows for seamless travel around US and CAN.
Old September 25, 2013, 11:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly, you're much better off getting 2 separate accounts, one with an american provider and one with a canadian provider and taking the time to swap out.
Old September 26, 2013, 05:13 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
Looks like they use the T-mobile network, so it wouldn't work in Canada. Looking for something that allows for seamless travel around US and CAN.
I really hope I am wrong then, but you will be stuck paying the high costs from Bell, etc. if you want 'seamless.' Perhaps retentions dept or something from Bell or Rogers will be able to help, or you can pray that the govt. CRTC comes up with something (saw something rumoured about the govt doing something about roaming fees but don't count on it).

Another option for you is a dual sim phone. They are popular in Asia/emerging markets but not easy to find from carriers here so you are likely to need to purchase a phone outright. You may want to do some research on carrier compatibility as well if you go the dual sim route, especially if LTE and such are important.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 11, 2013, 03:24 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

This looks very compelling:
KnowRoaming aims to disrupt travelling with a brilliant little SIM sticker | MobileSyrup.com

Quote:
It works by interfacing with your unlocked phone’s baseband — yes, your phone must be unlocked for KnowRoaming to work — with a tiny piece of software on the chip itself. When you get to another country, the sticker will elect to become the primary SIM card in your phone, interfacing with local carriers at rates far better than your Canadian provider’s.

The KnowRoaming team has negotiated agreements with network providers in nearly every country that offers voice, text and data services, and while prices are pay-per-use, the SIM merely needs to be loaded with funds (which never expire, unlike many local prepaid SIMs) through the companion apps.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 13, 2013, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Starting December 2nd there will be a max limit of 100$ for data roaming fees in US. But I guess will be applicable only to the new contracts. Ask your carrier for details.