Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2013, 04:52 PM
Top Prospect

Question Battery Life

Just picked up a Lenono T61 to act as a backup Laptop for College use. It has Windows 8 Pro and I am lost in space over it. Trying to determine how long the Battery will last in a Microsoft Office Environment.

Currently the only test of Battery longevity is playing an AVI file off a DVD and the Hard Disk. Starting with a fully charged Battery, the avi plays for 1hr 28 min (give or take a minute)on both DVD and Hard Disk before the laptop shuts down.

Based on the playing of AVI movie, how long could I expect the battery to last using the Laptop for only Office programs. I am hoping it would last through a typical college day.

Any input would be welcomed.
Old September 14, 2013, 05:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would suspect you'll get 3 hours at best out of it going off what I remember from using Lenovos at work (T510s with the large batteries). If you need a whole day out of the laptop, you've pretty much got to go with some kind of ultrabook.

Actually notebook reviews makes some comments on the battery life of this model here;
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Review
Old September 14, 2013, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

why not crunch and see how the battery stays alive will give best result
Old September 14, 2013, 09:27 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
I would suspect you'll get 3 hours at best out of it going off what I remember from using Lenovos at work (T510s with the large batteries). If you need a whole day out of the laptop, you've pretty much got to go with some kind of ultrabook.

Actually notebook reviews makes some comments on the battery life of this model here;
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Review
thanks. So watching videos is actually very taxing on power resources, compared to office type uses. Is video on par with gaming in respect to power resources, or is gaming still the ultimate electron hog.

The battery isn't that big on this laptop either.
Old September 14, 2013, 09:34 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
why not crunch and see how the battery stays alive will give best result
Its gonna get its test in a College Day environment on Monday. Only way to really tell I guess. Better take the Asus as well, just in case.
Old September 15, 2013, 08:45 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
thanks. So watching videos is actually very taxing on power resources, compared to office type uses. Is video on par with gaming in respect to power resources, or is gaming still the ultimate electron hog.

The battery isn't that big on this laptop either.
Gaming is much worse on the battery, since Gaming requires all components to be on and almost at full capacity (GPU, CPU, RAM, Network, Hard Drive/SSD) a movie only requires a CPU a bit of RAM and some hard drive space in order for you to see it.
Old September 21, 2013, 07:55 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
Gaming is much worse on the battery, since Gaming requires all components to be on and almost at full capacity (GPU, CPU, RAM, Network, Hard Drive/SSD) a movie only requires a CPU a bit of RAM and some hard drive space in order for you to see it.
I figure 30 min max if gaming, since surfing uses it up in an hour. Time for new battery, I guess