Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2013, 10:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Surface 2 and pro 2

Alright it seems that Microsoft has been giving out invitations for their 2nd gen Surface tablets, on september 23rd. Which should be interesting since apparently they decided to remove the name windows rt and just call it surface 2 so the uneducated mass will probably have a hard time figuring out what's what. I personally didn'tbuy them for two reasons: 1. Working out the bugs in the first gen and 2. Hashwell cpu.

So is anyone else interested in the next gen surface?
Old September 11, 2013, 11:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm interested to see how it turns out. I don't think I'll be picking one up, but I thought the Surface Pro had a lot of potential, but was a bit hindered by poor battery for 'tablet' standards and the lukewarm reviews of Windows 8. Having a proper windows architecture in portable fashion would be spectacular though. Hopefully they really hit it out of the park this time around.
Old September 11, 2013, 11:08 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

After using the first one, I can tell you this: they can keep it.
Old September 11, 2013, 03:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My brother picked up a Acer W510 (a mere $324) on the weekend, and I put a fresh install of 8.1 on it. Runs quite well to be honest, especially for an Atom. Battery life seems good, usability is fine.

If the Surface Pro 2 is thinner, lighter and has longer battery life, I think I'll consider getting one. The original Surface Pro is far too chunky though. Also the price needs to be well under $1000 with the keyboard cover. I'd like to see somewhere around $700-800 with 128GB.
Old September 11, 2013, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've been keeping my eye on this. I want either this or the Nexus 10.1. we'll see.
Old September 13, 2013, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

I am really looking forward to the Surface Pro 2 myself. I liked the concept of the Surface Pro, a real computer in Tablet form with Stylus. The RT should never have existed and has damaged the Surface brand if you ask me.

The Pro2 with 8gb of ram and haswell, it will be interesting I think, to see the battery life, the performance and to see if they got the weight down a bit. Win 8.1 is a slight improvement over 8 and the touch interface for the stuff I would use the start screen for it fine, browsing, video watching, solitaire, etc. I've never been a big app person on my phone or previous tablets, a lot of apps can simply be replaced with a good mobile site so the fact that Win8 has a terrible app store doesnt bother me too much. And then when I want it I have my entire library of Windows programs as well which is what I really wan't.

I'll also be looking at the event to see if they launch a smaller surface pro type device, not as powerful but just say 8 inches while still running win8 pro and have a stylus. That might really peak my interest.

So summary, if they get it to 5/6 hours battery, a little bit lighter (honestly it was hefty but I can live with that for full windows) and in the 800 dollar ballpark for the 128 I'll be picking one up I think.

Android and the ipad tablet's dont appeal to me at all