Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2013, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Getting a new Laptop!

Acer Store: Aspire V7-482PG-6662 Ultrabook

Just ordered that laptop, it has great reviews, great battery life, good screen and some balls when you need it. Also that 24gb is in an mSATA slot instead of on the mobo so I can upgrade to a nice SSD for speed and keep the storage space of my HDD :)

I will let you guys know how it is when I get it.
Old September 11, 2013, 10:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

You sure that is Msata and not M.2 sata? Most of the 24GB SSDs floating around are M.2 and there are no current aftermarket SSDs available (but there will be in the next 6 months).
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old September 11, 2013, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

AnandTech | - Gallery - Acer Aspire V7-482PG-9884 Internals - Photo 1 out of 10 Positive, I looked at a picture of the internals to make sure, it is a msata that screws down onto the mobo into the bottom of the chassis. Pretty neat design to save space.

You can see it on the left side in the middle here

Last edited by JJThomp; September 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old September 16, 2013, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So this arrived today and I have to say this thing is sweet, it is the most expensive laptop I have ever purchased and I have to say I don't think I could ever go back to a cheaper laptop.

It is on the heavy side of an ultrabook but it doesn't feel all that heavy because the weight is very well distribuated (if you hold it by the front the torque required to hold it straight up isn't magnified by the length of the arm since much of the weight is at the front). The lid and keyboard deck are made of aluminum so they are rigid and feel strong. The bottom is made of plastic which has been rubberized for a nicer feel and better grip.

The screen is gorgeous 1920x1080 IPS so viewing angles are awesome and the blacks are surprisingly dark. You can actually multitask pretty well on it even though it is only 14 inches because of the higher resolution. Backlighting is pretty good, in a well lit room you can use it on the lowest brightness setting to save on battery life however outdoors you pretty much need to have it on the max setting.

The body of the laptop is slim, actually much slimmer than you might expect from a 23mm thick notebook whereas the lid/screen is much thicker due to the touchscreen (which I haven't used because why would anyone want to smudge up such a beautiful screen). The trackpad feels nice and smooth but is slightly textured so you can tell your finger is on it, however it was slightly jittery until I updated the software. Clicking the trackpad doesn't feel as satisfying as many other notebooks but I prefer the single finger or two finger tap input method anyways. The keyboard has shallow travel but is very tactile and has a surprisingly high actuation force which makes it still feel good to type on. The layout is nice, I haven't hit very many of the wrong keys and I don't even need to look down at the keyboard. The back-lit keyboard is bright enough so you can see your keys but not so bright as to cause you to have to squint when you look down at them.

As far as performance goes it is pretty snappy, I haven't had a chance to benchmark anything but it resumes from hibernation in about a second and it boots pretty quickly too.

Battery life is great, been on it for about 4 hours and got it down to 50% with minimum brightness settings and just doing some word processing and loading some web pages for homework (damn online assignments). It estimates I have about 4 hours 17 minutes to go before it dies.

With a GT 750m and 4 speakers in this form factor gaming on the go should be pretty decent as well.
Old September 29, 2013, 01:22 PM
Associate Review Editor

Good choice, it's definitely on my short list.