Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 5, 2013, 11:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Lenovo....sigh

Wondering if anyone knows offhand, I'm trying to find the original specs for a lenovo laptop, according to the units serial number.

I know Dell makes this really easy to look up by the systems service tag, one thing they do right for sure

I found this lenovo page, and I believe the information it's giving me is what im looking for
Lenovo Support - Parts Lookup (CA)

Reason I ask, I one of the girls at work left me her laptop to fix tonight, POST hangs, and windows 8 bluescreens on startup

I've got Windows back up and going just fine after much waiting, the post hang, and trial and error trying to get it to boot from a usb key, ughr.

So windows works, I tried to reset the bios to defaults to see if the post hang would go away, but not so much

Unfortunately, it's a sealed unit, so I can't pull the battery, and cant find any info on shortcut keys to clear pram, nvram or anything like that, so i'm under the impression it's not an option.

Bios is up to date already, so nothing there

But what I'm thinking, is the parts lookup is listing a 24gb SSD cache, which from what I gather, caching is configured in the Intel RST settings, and the mSata drive, if it was there, appears to be no longer present. I'm wondering if it's failed and causing the hang during POST. really wish I could crack it open and find out but it's still under warranty for 3 months, I'll have to talk to her about that option, or the option of getting it repaired, but I don't think shell want to wait that long

just just did a little more digging, found a command tool to check status of a cache drive, realized it's part of the expresscache bundle (i think) which I did find installed. I'm pretty sure I'm right, I bet there's a bad mSata card hanging this thing up on boot

Last edited by stlouis1; September 5, 2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old September 6, 2013, 12:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well what did the tool say for the check status command?

I've cracked open a few laptops under warranty no problem. I just always went slow and used the right tools to prevent signs of access. I've never come across a warranty seal of any kind.
Old September 6, 2013, 12:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the tool gives me an error that the HFS volume isn't mounted, proceeded by a line that says Error request device is not available

there's no drive listed in device manager or disk management, it doesn't show up in the bios either which is why I think IF it did come installed, it's failed and causing the hanging issue

as for opening it up, I have no problem doing it, I teardown laptops in my sleep practically. The issue is, is after I popped off one of the rubber feet, there's a warranty seal sticker on one of the screws, so if I open it up, and it turns out I'm wrong about a failed mSata card being the issue, then there's the possibility of a larger issue at hand which might require the laptop to be sent in since I can't necessarily fix a dying motherboard for example, and if this becomes the case, then she's SOL for warranty if I've broken the seal.

I might be able to get the sticker with a heatgun, but that's another thing

I found a few posts about these SSD's not being the greatest quality and some having to be replaced on the lenovo forums, so I'm pretty sure I'm right, but before I break a warranty seal, I'd like to be more than "pretty sure"

Last edited by stlouis1; September 6, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old September 6, 2013, 04:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If it is under warranty I fail to understand why you would even think of attempting to open it, especially since you are unsure of the issue.
Old September 6, 2013, 10:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

that's exactly why I haven't touched it.

Well, I did fix the bluescreen issue, which was a corrupted vmware driver oddly enough, also repaired the windows component store that was corrupted and caused a few updates not too install. too bad I did that before I determined the other issue was something else unrelated, because if she sends it in for warranty, they'll probably replace the whole unit. Oh well, it gave me something to keep me busy at work.
Old September 6, 2013, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if it is hanging it sound more possibly it is a windows thing did someone install windows 8 onto that laptop?
if you get to the actual OS then try turning off fast boot in the power options, I remember reading somewhere a while ago that people where having problems with the leno laptop with installed win8 os

here is a link on how to do a refresh windows 8
Refresh Windows 8

if you can boot from a linux live or some other live OS environment and do hardware tests but to me it sound like typical Microsoft problems and not hardware problem
Old September 14, 2013, 08:47 PM
Top Prospect

Under warranty, then send it into Lenovo for repair. Turn around time should be pretty quick.