Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2013, 03:34 PM
Allstar

Default Help with an older Thinkpad

I have an older IBm Thinkpad A20MN that has worked fine up to this point. The problem only showed up about a month ago after a MS Windows update (not sure if that had anything to do with it or just coincidental timing).

Recently, when conencted to it's dock or AC it starts to restart itself. That is to say it shuts off, restarts, gets partway through start up asnd restarts. The longer this goes on the shirter the space between restarts.

Now the fan is running as I have it configured for full CPU speed when on AC and the bottom is very very warm so I suspect it is a heat problem as if the system is started on battery and remains on battery it does not exhibit the problem unless really stressed. Unfortuantely, it seems doing a Windows update is stressful (no smartass commens please :) ).

I though I'd try taking it appart and seeing if it needed a good cleaning but am at a loss as to hoew to get the case apart. I removed every screw that could nbe considered holding the damn thing together (including the ones hidden under rubber pads) and it still won't separate.

Any help or info would be appreciated.
Old August 29, 2013, 03:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Disassembling IBM ThinkPad A30 Motherboard - iFixit ?

Not sure if it's the same procedure that requires access to something under the keyboard (this is an A30 apparently), but that would be my guess as to the problem you're having getting it apart.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old August 30, 2013, 03:55 PM
Allstar

Thanks I'll have a look at that and see if anything comes from it.
Old September 4, 2013, 07:48 PM
Allstar

Still can't seem to get it apart and I'd hate to break it, in case it's nothing major that's actually wrong. Sadly the locak IBM service rep has ceased business.